New Lounger
    Thanks

Web Components (Office XP SP2)

Hi, I'm trying to open an Excel spreadsheet (saved as web page) in a browser, Internet Explorer 6 with all the security updates installed, but it persists in view-only mode. All the interactivity toolbar buttons are disabled. I do have Office XP and web components installed, and even tried reinstalling the web components from the CD, but to no avail. It's as if I was a user without MS Office installed on the computer. When I saved the spreadsheet as a web page, I saved only the sheet, not the entire workbook, and checked all the "enable interactivity" checkboxes. This is an OEM version of Office XP Professional from Dell.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
    Kate

Thanks

Re: Web Components (Office XP SP2)

On the off chance that the controls were never installed, try opening the installer, choosing add/update/remove (not sure of the exact name) and expanding the tree display that indicates which components should be installed, which run from disk, and which are not even advertised.

If the Office Web Components were installed, could you make up a sample document (that exhibits the same problem) for posting? You can post an HTML page here by zipping it up (e.g., with WinZip) prior to posting it. We can see if it works for others.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The web components are installed, or at least they appear to be. I had done what you said, expanding the list on the CD before I posted. The button with the MS Office symbol at the far left of the grayed-out Interactivity toolbar is enabled; it and the help button are the only ones enabled. If I click on the Office button, it brings up an "about" screen for web components and says they are licensed to me. The "about" screen on the Excel Help menu also says Excel is licensed to me. I am attaching a sample HTML spreadsheet that has the Interactivity toolbar disabled for me.

Thanks,
    Kate
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The Web Components read completely correctly on my IE SP1 - fully patched. Could this by some chance be to do with some form of security setting on your machine? HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

I myself was wondering if it could be one of the endless security patches/critical updates from Microsoft, which I have been faithfully installing, but if your I.E. is fully patched and the html sheet opens properly in it, I guess that must not be the problem. I checked the security settings on my browser and don't see anything glaringly obvious that would cause the file to be view only. I really don't know where else to look!

Thanks,
    Kate