2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access XP MDE (Access 2000/XP)

I have a client who is using an Access 2000 MDE on his server. The product has been working fine. Now the client has gone to Windows XP and I can no longer make MDE files on his machine. The client system is using the Jet engine and Office 2000. When I try to make an MDE now, I get a message saying "Unable to Compile". Question 1 - Why am I getting this message and is there anything I can do about it? I can compile on my machine under Windows 98 using Office 2000 as I could when the client was using Windows 2000. He is still using Office 2000. Question 2 - If I need to compile under Office XP, can I get away with just having Office XP on the server (where the network files are) and leave the work stations, which are Windows XP, with Office 2000?
    Thanks, Sarge

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access XP MDE (Access 2000/XP)

Q1: Open the MDB file. In the Visual Basic Editor, select Debug | Compile <project>. Do you get errors? If so, you will have to resolve these before you can create an MDE.

Q2: You can only create MDE files in the same format as your Access version: Access 2000 can only create format Access 2000 MDE's, and Access 2002 can only create Access 2002 format MDE's. The latter won't be readable in Access 2000.