Thread: usb hard disk

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

usb hard disk

I would like to know if any of you can kindly recommend an external usb hard disk that I can use for backup purpose. I have a small network of 3 computers and each has a 40GB internal hard disk. I just want to add an usb drive to one of the machines and then share it out for backup.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: usb hard disk

If you don't plan to take this hard drive on the road with you, then you can bypass the more expensive and compact 20-30-40GB models and get one of the clunkier USB enclosures that will encase an arbitrarily large hard drive. 80GB might be good for your needs; 160GB would be possible.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

what I want to do is backup the files and then take the hard disk home each day for safe keeping. Do these usb drives work with MS backup?

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I have seen this Maxtor (120GB) advertised for CAD $240. Do you know if it support the Backup program that comes with Windows 2000/xp? I have heard a lot of bad things about Maxtor's own backup program.

Thanks again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You should take a look at the Maxtor "One Touch". It comes with back-up software that after configuring all you need to need to do is press one button, hence the name. I have two friends using them in the same manner you want to. They both love it. Seagate also has a USB external. Good Luck.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do not know about the MS built-in support. Both friends use the Maxtor supplied software as it is more feature rich. At least that is what they tell me. As far as any "bugs" in the enclosed software, I generally believe that the majority of problems arise from not aquiring an available update or service pack as most bundled software (any program, from any company) is a little behind the most current fixes that are needed for itself. I too will be looking for myself for some easy system for my wife as data only backups are at the 3 CD level and it is tedious. With a large external HD you can have incremental image back-ups as well. Hope you find the best solution for yourself.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your kind advice, very much appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Let us all know what you chose to do and how it worked out.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think I will go with what jscher2000 suggested: usb enclosure with notebook hard disk. It will be a notebook hard disk (about 40GB) housed inside a small case (a little bigger than a credit card). This case uses an USB 2.0 cable to connect to the desktop computer. The drive itself is about CAD $180 and the case is about CAD $40. It may not be the cheapest but it is the light weight that I want. I have looked at Maxtor's OneTouch (120GB) but it is too big to carry around.

Thanks

I guess I didn't address the portability. There are some other, slicker options in my old <post#=183439>post 183439</post#>.