New Lounger
    Thanks

Square brackets display around paragraph marks (2000)

Occasionally I open a Word document that I created earlier to find that a paragraph mark or a link is surrounded by bold square brackets. The brackets are not characters in the text. I cannot select them or delete them. Can anyone tell me what these brackets signify? I feel like Word is trying to tell me something.

I've examined character and paragraph formatting and also my display options settings for formatting marks. I've looked this topic up in Help, in the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base, and I searched this forum for an answer. I've been unable to find even a mention of it.

A final clue: When a co-worker opens the same document, he does not see the brackets. Thanks to anyone who can tell me what these brackets are.

Banker

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Square brackets display around paragraph marks (2000)

Perhaps bookmarks?
    1. Open one of the offending documents and select Insert | Bookmark... Select a bookmark and click Go To. Do you end up at bracketed text?
    2. Select Tools | Options... and see if Bookmarks is checked in the View tab.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, you are brilliant! Now I just have to figure out what I'm doing that is creating bookmarks unbeknownst to me.

Banker

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I've noticed recently in Word 2002 that if I copy and paste text inside a document, Word bookmarks the origin text with an OLE #. I haven't seen this happen before so I am not sure if its a setting in my machine or the new way.

What types of names are in your bookmarks list - this might be a clue as to how you are getting bookmarks in your document?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

The bookmark names are as you describe them, Andrew: OLE #.

It could indeed be related to copy/paste. The documents this happens with often have parts copied from another document (which might explain the OLE # bookmark name). I'll watch for it to happen in the future to see if I can pin it down.

Banker