4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Default view of messages (OE Ver 5.5)

The default view of messages has recently changed from a full window to a small, reduced window. How can I adjust this back to where it was?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Default view of messages (OE Ver 5.5)

I'm not sure whether you simply need to click in the (very) small box - immediately to the left of the X - at the top right hand coner of your small, reduced window. Alternatively, you may like to review the options under View|Layout in the main menu bar. HTH
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the note. I can manually adjust the window size after opening each e-mail; however, I would like to have the default view returned to a larger window, and not have to change it every time. The View/Layout options don't have any option that seems to help me.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

George--

See if this works for you. It has before whether you are trying to get IE to remember/retain Windows size or OE. At the OE inbox go to File>New. Keep the parent window up, and with the new window, manually stretch to whatever larger window size you're after (full or less), then close holding down the ctrl key--via File>close or the X (doesn't matter). Now kill the parent window. You should have the size remembered. With Window memory in IE/OE nothin's forever you might have to do it again, and nothin's 100% but this always works for me. I wish I had a list of reasons why Windows suddenly stop remembering size IE/OE but I don't.

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I wish I had a list of reasons why Windows suddenly stop remembering size IE/OE but I don't"

Windows does NOT make these change unless told to. The last time the message screen was used, it was in the smaller state, and when closed the default is to set the new sticky size. This is typical for ALL window panes for most ALL programs.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen on machines and in threads IE/OE windows suddenly come up smaller and stay that way. I didn't "tell Windows to do it" Dave, the few times it's happened to me and neither did the people who post this problem all over the web with IE or OE nearly every hour according to their posts. I've seen a lot of bromides as have you on a number of previous Lounge threads that go to this in IE, OE, XP, and the one I usually see that works like a charm for me is the one I posted.

IE Window Too Small December 27, 2003 "just started happening"
    Set IE to Open Excel Maximized
    Setting default window sizeIE6.0SP1
    Maximize Windows IE6SP Home

The context I see this in every other night on some ng is that the person hasn't got a clue what caused the aberrant size, and I believe most of them would know the way they told Windows, IE, or OE to alter the size. I know I'd remember what I told it to do.

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You will find that some of the "Pop ups and unders" is the last window that gets closed so, YES, you did tell Windows to start using the displayed size of window.

The Outlook and OE email window get resized because, you have used a link at a web page that brought up a email window and then you closed it. Again you, DID tell Windows to start using the smaller size window.

Just because you did not define the windows size and close it, Windows does not know that you the "Operater" does NOT want it changed.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You know I never thought about the huge penetrance of popups and unders that could infulence window size--this is probably the answer to all these people saying "all of a sudden it just started and I don't know why--I didn't do anything'" and I don't know enough about the interaction of javascript and active x and these popupups/popunders with Windows. Very interesting.

One reason (but I probably wouldn't have made the connection anyway) is that I just don't see Popups anymore. The fallout I do see is possibly the mechanism when one is trying to rear its head and can't surface. This causes some very temporary slowing because resources are used to kill the emerging and aborted popup. I have Windows messenger service off partly for security, partly to shut a door on popunders/popups and when you run something like the Google toolbar (or some pop-up stopper or Browser that goes after them) you just don't see them.

Thanks--I just didn't pick up on this happening.

SMBP

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that did it. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That's good George because it is very annoying. I think you can use this often to tame IE and OE into giving you back the size you want--Dave pointed out a mechanism for why this happens a good bit of the time it does I never thought about--and what I get from people that really understand Windows and IE is that you can't count on the current versions of Windows and IE/OE to be immune from something occasionally messing with Window size whether it be popups/unders or something else a little bit behind the scenes like them you're allowing to dictate size.

SMBP

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It will happen with ANY program including MOST browsers, that use the Windows API for closing a window. It is NOT just Microsoft products that this happens to so think about how you closed and why you closed that program last.