Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing icons (97)

Hi,
    Does anybody know how to save a picture as an icon then attach that icon to file??
    Cheers for the help in advance,
    Rob

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing icons (97)

An icon is basically a 16X16 bitmap with a *.ico extension. What do you mean by attaching an icon to a file?
    Gre

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing icons (97)

As noted, an icon is a small bitmap 16 x 16 or 32 x 32 pixels in size. An icon actually consists of two separate bitmaps, an XOR bitmap, and an AND bitmap used to mask the display area before it is combined with the XOR bitmap. This allows the screen display to appear visible "beneath" the icon. There are numerous Windows API functions that can be used to create, draw, copy, load, extract, and destroy icons. But based on this question and a similar question in Access (<!post=Icons (97),331435>Icons (97)<!/post>), I don't think using API functions would be a very useful approach. If you want to be able to create your own customized icons, look for a good icon editing program. There are plenty of freeware or shareware icon editors available. Recommend do a search in "Software Finds & Wants" for "icon" and you will find a large number of links & recommendations for icon editing software that you may find useful. (My personal preference is for Axialis IconWorkshop but this is not a freebie program; there's a shareware version that can be downloaded.)

I do not know how to "attach" an icon to a file. You can load in icon in the title bar of an application like Excel. See my reply in a previous thread: <!post=Re: Application Icon (2002 (Office XP)),302663>Re: Application Icon (2002 (Office XP))<!/post>. You can also associate a custom icon with a particular file extension, but am not sure that is what you want to do. If interested, see MSKB article 247529:

HOWTO: Associate a Custom Icon with a File Extension

HTH