4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Escalating Counseling (2000/SR1)

I know that Subject doesn't mean much to anyone, I just don't know what else to call it.

I am working on a database for our Supervisors to keep track of employees. One of the functions is to track attendance and counseling for those that violate the rules. We have a policy that the employees accrue points for being late, leaving early or using sick leave beyond the amount that they are allowed each year. We have a requirement that after they earn 2 points, their supervisor needs to discuss it with them, after 3, they get a written warning, after 4, they get another warning and so on.

I have a system set up to track the points, but would like to add a way for
    1) A list to tell us who needs each of the steps shown above
    2) Whether or not the steps were completed
    3) And to keep track of the steps so that we aren't giving more warnings than necessary.

For example, Joe earns 2 points and shows up on the list needing counseling. The supervisor performs that and puts that information in the database. Now Bob earns 2 points. We want to see that Bob needs counseling but we don't want to see Joe, because that step has been completed for him. However, if Joe earns another point, he needs to show up again.

At first, I thought it would be real simple and now it seems very confusing. Maybe I'm making it harder than it should be. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Escalating Counseling (2000/SR1)

There are several possibilities.

One is to add a Yes/No field NeedsCounseling. The default value is No. When an employee is "awarded" a point, and the total is 2 or higher, NeedsCounseling is set to Yes. How? In code on as form, but the exact implementation depends on how a point is assigned. When the supervisor has handled a case, (s)he sets NeedsCounseling to False again. If a written warning is issued automatically from the database, this can also set it to False. You can create a query that selects employees with NeedsCounseling = True; this can be the record source for a form and or report. The number of points determines the action to be taken.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for your help with this. I'm still struggling. I don't know if it's harder than I thought it should be or I'm just not getting it.

The more I think about it, it is kind of like an inventory system, when the inventory gets to a certain level, something needs to be done. In this case, there are 4 or 5 different levels. We are also doing this on a rolling calendar, so the points level can rise or fall, depending on the day. I set up a table, with the EmpID and the four different levels of counseling, each as a Yes/No field, then created a new query, joined to the query I setup earlier with the points based on the rolling calendar. Now, I am having problems figuring out how to get the Yes/No fields to change, based on the points.

I created a field in the query and wrote the following expression - Test: IIf([qryOccurenceTotalsRolling]![sumofpoint]=4.25,[tblDiscipline]![verbalwarning]="Yes",[tblDiscipline]![verbalwarning]="No"). (I put an exact match of 4.25 in the expression because it was the total of one of my test subjects and I wanted to see what would happen.) Nothing happened, just got an error. I know I'm not doing this right. I'm wondering if there is an inventory database or similar that would be an example to take a look at. I did look at the the sample database that came with Access and that wasn't much help. Sorry if this isn't clear, let me know if you need more detail. Thanks again for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The expression you post displays a value, it doesn't change the value of [tblDiscipline]![verbalwarning]. If you want to change something, you must either use an update query, or write event code for a form.