2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unread Mail shows Sent Mail (Outlook 03 on WIN XP Pro)

I enjoy using Outlook 2003, particularly the Unread Mail window. However, I would prefer that only Incoming Mail showed in that area. I already know what I wrote in emails I send but they show up as Unread Mail. Is there somewhere to alter this?

Thank you for any help.

Thanks

Re: Unread Mail shows Sent Mail (Outlook 03 on WIN XP Pro)

This can't be right. In all previous versions of Outlook, mail in the Sent Items folder is marked read automatically.

Is there any chance you're cc'ing yourself, and the unread messages are those copies? (These could be marked read, or deleted, using a Rule.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Corollary to JScher2000's response, the default for Outlook is to place Unread mail in the Inbox Folder. Are you redirecting incoming mail to another Folder? What do you mean by "Unread Mail Window"?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both for your replies.

>What do you mean by "Unread Mail Window"?>

Outlook 03 has a sections called "Favourite Folders" which gives quick access to: Unread Mail; Inbox; and Sent Items. If one has a lot of folders under Inbox as I do, i.e. too many to show in All Mail folders without using the mouse to move down through them, Unread Mail is a boon as all Incoming mail shows up in that and you can read it without having to trawl down through folders.

JScher2000, you're right, mail in the Sent folders definitely shows as read, even when a copy is showing in the Unread Mail folder as Unread. I'm not cc'ing myself but I wonder if Outlook somehow needs to cc me order for it to show in Unread Mail..

It's a very annoying problem because mail doesn't move from the Unread Mail folder until you click on it and "read" it. Read incoming mail can then be found as normal in the appropriate folder, i.e. Inbox or any other box a rule has sent it to. However, this also applies to the Sent mail and I don't want to read again what I've already sent.

I'm sorry if this is confusing and hope someone can help further.

thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There is NO "Unread Mail folder ", it is just a "View" of all of the emails that have not been read. It is some what like "My Documents" icons, which are only a link to the current users "Documents and Settings/ User name/My Documents.

This "View" will show ALL unread mail regardless of where it is located.

I am NOT seeing this action on sent mail, the only email that I see is truly unread email that was sent to me.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK - thank you. I understand the View concept now. However, my sent emails still sit there until I click on them even though they have already been sent.I have noticed that it is only new emails that do it not when I reply or forward an Incoming mail. Any further thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you passing a copy to a subfolder under the "Sent" folder in leu of the Sent folder it's self?

Just tested this with ALL 6 accounts and NONE of them act in this manner.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's it !! Just ran a test and it's only the mail which passes a copy to a subfolder which remains. Now, is there a way to solve this? Thanks again, I do appreciate your time.