Thread: shut down

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

shut down

I am using Windows 2000 on my computer. Recently I have noticed that whenever I go to Start, Shut Down, the machine never really shuts down. I basically have to turn off the power. I would like to know if there is a way to find out what is going on.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: shut down

Perhaps you will find these links helpful, and exactly what happens--i.e. how far does it get--i.e. does it hang on "Saving your settings" for example, or how far do you get when you click shutdown?

315409: HOW TO: Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows 2000
    KB Links, Shutdown and Restart ProblemsWindows 2000
    Shutdown Hangs Windows XP October 17, 2003
    Win2K shuts down and restarts February 17, 2003
    Win 2K Shutdown Problem May 7, 2002

There are of course a number of other good threads available through Lounge Search.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What is likely happening is that a program or service is not shutting down or ending properly. While Windows in shutting down, press CTRL+Shift+ESC. This will invoke the Task Manager if the shell is still alive enough to allow it. If it opens, look at the Processes tab and see what remains running. You can also End Task on anything that you suspect is hanging up, and possibly determine what the rogue program is this way.

Next, try disabling as many items as you can before shutting down, particularly all those little helper things running in the tray (system clock) area. Do you notice the system shutting down any faster?

If yes, you have narrowed down the potential cause to a tray item.

If no, then you are probably dealing with a service that is failing to respond to the shutdown sequence. Check the Event Viewer (Start - Run - eventvwr.msc) under the -System tab for possible error and warning messages that will help narrow this down somewhat.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I will give it a try to see.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There are a number of these guides to processes that you might want to define that list in Task Manager in that tab if you don't recognize one, particularly when it's using a large amount of resources. I find Black Viper's Win 2K Service Configurations a helpful guide, and as I read many of the links a frequent (and there can be many others) cause of shutdown hangups is that shutdown is attempted when Winlogon (a very important process that you never want to end) is using excessive resources in high numbers, and if so it often helps to wait a bit until it stops--you can look at the KB and the shutdown links for more on this. You can click the "memory usage" header to have processes list in descending or ascending order of memory use for convenience. Note BV advises if you can to end these processes that are not necessary from services rather than to simply check one off from msconfig.

You might also get some help from his Win 2K Guide.

SMBP