New Lounger
    Thanks

Track Changes - Word 2002 (Word 2002/SP2/Windows XP)

I wondered if someone could help me with a question. We have a user in the office who is using tracked changes. What they would like to see is text which they have inserted using track changes remain there, but also be deleted at the same time. What happens is that the text is inserted as underlined, but when the same person goes to delete it, it obviously removes the inserted text, so for that particular User it doesn't really give a true reflection of what has happened in the document e.g. the text being inserted and then deleted.

The work round we have is by getting them to change the User Information in Word when they come to strikethrough the text, as this then leaves the text underlined to show that it has been inserted, and allows them to strikethrough to show that it has then been deleted as well. However it obviously changes the colour so you end up with two different colours.

Another way round it is to highlight the text, then click on Format, Font and select Strikethrough. This gives the impression that the text has been inserted and deleted using the same colour, but causes the User extra work when the come to accept or reject the changes.

What I would like to know, or whether it might be possible to do, is to show the inserted text as underlined, but also show the text as deleted, but in the same colour using tracking.

I have explained tracking and how it works, but wanted to make absolutely sure that I am telling them the correct thing.

Thanks,
    Teresa.

Thanks

Re: Track Changes - Word 2002 (Word 2002/SP2/Windows XP)

I don't think Word has this feature. It does not believe in keeping track of you editing yourself. At least not with revision marks.

You could automate the change-user-name operation with a macro like this:
    <pre>Sub MarkDeleted()
    Dim strUser As String
    strUser = Application.UserName
    Application.UserName = strUser & " (DELETION)"
    Selection.Delete
    Application.UserName = strUser
    End Sub</pre>

But you will end up with a different color.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track Changes - Word 2002 (Word 2002/SP2/Windows XP)

Thanks for replying to my post timeously and confirming what I thought and what I told the User. The macro is a great idea - so thanks very much.

Teresa