2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Color command button (2000)

My users often need to change the font color of selected text. I'd like to add a series of buttons to my custom command bar that duplicates the results of clicking the Font Color drop down and picking the color.

(I realize I'm only saving a few clicks, but if you're constantly selecting text, clicking the Font Color drop down, and then having to precisely select the color from the grid, it does get frustrating. Especially because I very often click the color in the grid NEXT TO the one I want. Then I have to do it again.)

It seems that the Font Color control is built-in and I can't reuse the actual color boxes themselves. Is that true?

Right now I have macros that apply the colors I need, and I can add a command bar button to run each macro. However, instead of a bunch of text buttons ("Red", "Blue", "Green") it would be more user-friendly to have a colored icon instead of just the caption. I saw some historical posts about changing the font color of the command buttons, but I think those were VB related posts.

I'm building my command bar with code, so I'd like a code solution, rather than customizing the icons manually.

Any suggestions?
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Color command button (2000)

Have you tried tearing the Font Color dropdown off the menu bar? If you drag it by the little bar at the top, above the colors, it becomes a floating window. You can position it where you like, and it will remain open until you click the close button in the upper right corner.

The same works for the Fill Color dropdown.

Thanks

John Walkenbach has one here

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I guess that would be fewer clicks, but I was hoping that I could somehow put individual colored boxes (or the equivalent) directly on my custom toolbar.

Bob
    Words Connect

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Steve -

I hadn't seen that tip on the j-walk site. I played with his solution, and it would do what I want, but wouldn't save me any clicks. The technique he uses to change the back color seems only to apply to buttons on a user form. Nothing happens if I change those properties on a command bar button.

I wanted some way to place buttons like his directly on my custom command bar. I know that I can create my own custom icon, but I can't include that when I'm building a command bar from code.

It seems that programmatically, I can only pick from the existing faceids and I can change the caption. (I found a post here that pointed to the j-walk tool for displaying faceids, and that helped me pick faceids, and that was a big help.) Am I right that at least when dealing with command bar buttons, those are my only options for changing the apprearance of a button?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Words Connect

Thanks

Does this <post#=322560>post 322560</post#> by <!profile=Hans>Hans<!/profile> give you a means to get what you want?

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Steve! That got me where I needed to be.

The .Picture property didn't seem to work on my command bar button, but I saw elsewhere in that thread about the CopyFace method. Once I built a hidden toolbar I could copy and paste the custom faceid to get what I wanted.

Thanks for sticking with it!

Bob
    Words Connect