3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Weird Corruption (2000)

One user was logged into a db.. we believe he left it abruptly, and it corrupted itself.

I attemped a normal repair, which got about half way thru, and then gave the attached message.

Any attempt now to read the db (including trying to import it), results in this error message.

does anyone know of a utility which can just grab the tables from the db? (We have a backup of the db from 2 days ago(yesterdays backup was missed))
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Weird Corruption (2000)

1. Microsoft has a standalone utility ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center. It can sometimes repair a database that the internal Compact and Repair can't handle.

2. Have you tried creating a new blank database and importing all tables from the problem database? Or get the data into Excel (Data | Get External Data | New Database Query... in an Excel workbook)?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The microsoft utility failed miserably [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Importing the data into a new db was the first thing i tried Hans.

The excel option, keeps saying i dont have permission, (even tho im tied into the correct permissions file, and im using the admin pw)

Thanks for the suggestions Hans.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

From this experience, I would say that your database is beyond repair.

I have no experience with data recovery software or services myself, but I found these links:
    AccessFix (software)
    Access Database Repair Center (service)
    and there are many others.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Was the application converted from another version? It sounds like something quite odd happened, since compacting a database automatically compacts to the same format. Is it possible that someone tried to compact it with a *different* version of Access, say 97? Make sure any ldb files associated with the database or any file it's attached to are removed after the database is closed. Then try doing a decompile (see <post#=44732>post 44732</post#> for instructions) to see if you can get it open. I have run into problems with Access 2000 databases being partially compiled many time, and a decompile usually cleans that up at least. If someone used JetComp and selected the incorrect Jet version for the result, I would imagine that could cause this kind of problem as well.

Is this a backend, or a combined file?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does anyone know if Microsoft's utility will allow you to repair a secured database?

I'm in a corrupted database situation - the normal repair gets to 4 dots on the progress bar and stops. It does create a db1.mdb of the same size but appears to have data missing. I have tried importing the tables into a new database but cannot because of the corruption.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In <!mskb=172733>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 172733<!/mskb>, Microsoft states explicitly for the last version released for Jet 3.5 (Access 97):
    <hr>You can now use Jetcomp.exe on secured databases and databases that have a database password.<hr>
    I would think that this also holds for the version for Jet 4.0 (Access 2000 and up.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can see that they state that but they don't say how!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't tried it myself, but you probably need to join the secured workgroup temporarily.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried this, but I just get an error 'Error compacting database'. I have to restore from a backup, but unfortunately our most recent backup failed, so I have to get one a day older. Sod's law that these 2 things had to happen at the same time!

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sometimes you can get into the database even through it's corrupt, and export individual items when you can't import items at all. It's a long shot, but if you can get to the database container, it may allow you to recover some things.
    Wendell