2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping data on prior dates when modifying lookup (1997)

I have a spreadshet that gathers pay rates from a lookup table in order to compute pay. I want to keep data that has already been entered on prior dates to stay, and data from the lookup tables from a given date to show the new pay rates when I change the lookup tables to reflect the increase in pay.

Example: We get a pay increase starting July 1, 2004 (for instance). Rows 1 to 180 have already had data entered and computed to reflect pay covering January 1, 2004 to June 30, 2004. I change the lookup tables to reflect the pay increases and want the spreadsheet to keep prior information gleaned and have subsequent rows/dates reflect the new pay rates.

Thanx

Larry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keeping data on prior dates when modifying lookup (1997)

2 possible solutions

1/ If the old cells will never change, eliminate the formulas by replacing the cells with their values

2/ Create a new lookup database containing payscales & dates and use a 2-way lookup. This is best illustrated with an example.

<table border=1><td></td><td align=center>A</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>D</td><tr><td align=center valign=bottom>1</td><td align=right valign=bottom>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keeping data on prior dates when modifying lookup (1997)

Tony,

Thanx for the reply. I will study and try to utilize this solution. I work on the railroad, and we are subject to duty 24/7/365. Please see post 330067 for a partial spreadsheet. The on duty times and dates are NOT set.

I will let you know if I can make it work or not.

Larry