New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing and Tracking Changes (Word XP)

I have been working on a Word document with multiple users and am trying to print the document in markup view to show the changes, yet when I print it the margins expand as if the bubbles (that indicate the changes) were still in the document. I have tried changing multiple settings in Tools - Options - Track Changes, such as turning the bubbles on and off, as well as in the Print menu I have chosen multiple settings in the 'Print What' area but to no avail. I have also checked my margin settings which are 1". When the document prints the left margin is 1" but the right margin is approx 2.5". Any suggestions as to what else could be causing the margins to change upon printing?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Printing and Tracking Changes (Word XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 17-Jan-04 13:36. Updated!)</P>You could search here to confirm, as this is an old problem with a specific Microsoft Knowledgebase workaround, but I believe you need to turn off the balloon feature on the Tools>Options...>Track Changes tab in order to prevent the "squeeze" from being applied to your text.

Update: This thread mentions a hotfix that requires a request to MS Support:
    Word 2002 Track changes (2002) April 2003 citing
    WD2002: Document Printed with Wide Right Margin and Small Text If You Turn Off Balloons (MSKB 325527

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

All you have to do to correct this is turn Tracking off (easiest way is to double-click the TRK in the status bar). Then printing tracked changes will fill the entire page. Worked for us - Hope that helps you!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have turned Track Changes off but my documents are still printing smaller on the page. I am using Word 2003. Do you know of anything else to correct this problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just to confirm: both the Bubbles AND Track Changes are disabled, and you are still having this problem??

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. I found that, in Word 2003, you have to make sure your document is in Print Layout View first. Then go to Track Changes and set Printing W/Balloons Page Orientation to PRESERVE; go back and select NEVER for print balloons. Now is will finally print full size.