4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Always Show Task Pane? (Win XP PRO SR-1)

The task pane is displayed when I open Word before opening any documents. However, when I open Word by opening a document the task pane is not displayed. Is there a way to have it always displayed? I know, I have been reading the posts and it seems everyone wants to get rid of it. But I would like the option of keeping it open always.

TIA
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Always Show Task Pane? (Win XP PRO SR-1)

See if Controlling the Task Pane, even when add-ins are present helps. The registry hack referred to in this Word MVP article can be found in WD2002: Task Pane Is Not Displayed on Startup.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    yes, that worked like a charm! Now I am looking for a similar thing for Excel. The page you directed me to has a link to download a task pane controller for Excel but it doesn't work. If you know of such a thing can you let me know?

Thanks again.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The link on the page for the Word Task Pane controller for the Excel controller didn't work. Your link did.

Thanks a lot!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have done both the Registry tweak and installed the Taskpane Controller but am not getting the results I wanted. If I open Excel first and then open a file the Task Pane is displayed. However, if I open Excel by opening a file the Task Pane is not displayed. Is this the nature of the beast?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leif on 13-Mar-04 16:26. to update link to http://www.bmsltd.ie/)</P>Was it the link or the program that did not work? I just tried the link and was able to download the task pane controller program.

Alternatively is you are happy with modifying the registry then there is a hack that has featured a few times in the lounge and is best illustrated in <post#=299188>post 299188</post#>