Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Combine Two Records Into One? (a2k (9.0.6926) SP-3 Jet 4.0 SP-7)

Is there a way to construct an INTERJOIN query to connect the first two records in a table as the first query record returned, the second two records in the table as the second query record returned, etc

Example, using the NW Customers table the query would return:

Customer ID -- Company Name -- Contact Name -- Customer ID -- Company Name -- Contact Name
    ALFKI Alfreds Futterkiste Maria Anders ANATR Ana Trujillo Emparedados y helados Ana Trujillo
    ANTONAntonio Moreno Taquer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combine Two Records Into One? (a2k (9.0.6926) SP-3 Jet 4.0 SP-7)

You need a way to number records, and return fields from the odd-numbered records (1, 3, 5, ...) together with fields from the next record (2, 4, 6, ...). The only ways I can think of are EXTREMELY slow. I'm curious to see if others have a better idea.

1. Create a query based on the Customers table that adds a line number. I used DCount for this; it is also possible to use a custom VBA function for this. SQL:

SELECT Customers.*, DCount("*","Customers","CustomerID<=" & Chr(34) & [CustomerID] & Chr(34)) AS LN
    FROM Customers
    ORDER BY CustomerID

LN stands for Line Number. Save this as qryCustomerNumber.

2. Create a query based on two copies of qryCustomerNumber. Select the odd-numbered records from the first copy by requiring that [LN] Mod 2 equals 1. We will use a non-standard join between the tables, to make the second copy return the record following the one of the first copy. This query cannot be displayed in design view, only in SQL view and in datasheet view. SQL:

SELECT qryCustomerNumber.CustomerID, qryCustomerNumber.CompanyName, qryCustomerNumber.ContactName, qryCustomerNumber_1.CustomerID, qryCustomerNumber_1.CompanyName, qryCustomerNumber_1.ContactName
    FROM qryCustomerNumber INNER JOIN qryCustomerNumber AS qryCustomerNumber_1 ON (qryCustomerNumber.LN+1) = qryCustomerNumber_1.LN
    WHERE ([qryCustomerNumber].[LN] Mod 2)=1

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Perfect

Thanks, John

<I'm curious to see if others have a better idea.>

Me too

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Check out qry_Customer_Combine_John_Mishefske in attached db that I got from another forum.

Only problem, I have 91 records coming in and 45 records in the query, missing to odd 91st record.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John, I see that you added an AutoNumber field ID to the Customers table. The thought had occurred to me too, but if you ever delete records from the table, there will be gaps in the sequence of values of ID, disprupting the query.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Good observation

This query is created once a year for input to a report.

If I use this method I will have to create a temp table on the fly with a autonumber

What would I have to change to grab all the fields from Customers table?

SELECT [qryCustomerNumber].[CustomerID], [qryCustomerNumber].[CompanyName], [qryCustomerNumber].[ContactName], qryCustomerNumber_1.CustomerID, qryCustomerNumber_1.CompanyName, qryCustomerNumber_1.ContactName
    FROM qryCustomerNumber INNER JOIN qryCustomerNumber AS qryCustomerNumber_1 ON ([qryCustomerNumber].[LN]+1)=qryCustomerNumber_1.LN
    WHERE ([qryCustomerNumber].[LN] Mod 2)=1;

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Replace INNER JOIN by LEFT JOIN.