4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD-ROM only reads music/InCD

I recently posted the following in the Hardware Forum. However, recent testing has totally convinced me that this is a software issue, and probably a Windows 2000 issue. May all the moderators please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong, but I think you will see why I moved (actually simply added) this issue to this forum.

I have a computer running Windows 2000. I have a CD-ROM (Yamaha ????) and a rather generic CD-RW. Both will play music CDs just fine. The CD-RW plays CD-RWs and InCDs just fine.

But if I try to play a software disk, like my MS Office CD or a CD that came with my new printer, it does not detect the CD. The light comes on the drive itself, and it spins, but if I click on the drive in Windows Explorer, I get the message:

(Drive Letter): is not accessible. Incorrect function.

This has been happening for the last several months. I guess I've found ways of working around it until now.

NEW INFORMATION THAT MAKES ME THINK THIS IS WINDOWS RELATED

On the suggestion of tech support for my CD/RW drive, I tried booting in to DOS mode (Safe Mode with Command Prompt). Lo and behold, I was able to view information on the CD (in this case my MS Office 2000 CD, which I had not previously been able to read booting normally). I also booted into Windows with the regular Safe Mode (not to a command prompt only). Again, I was able to see the contents of the CD. I tried one more time to boot normally, and I when I did, I found I could NOT view the contents of the CD once again.

Thus, something that is loading is prohibiting me from seeing this type of CD-ROM when booting Normally.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD-ROM only reads music/InCD

Do you have any software related to music CD's starting up automatically? Look in the Startup folder for you and for All Users, and also in the registry under

HKEY_Local_Machine SoftwareMicrosoftWindowsRun

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I looked, but saw nothing that looked like it was related to Music. I even exported that directory, then deleted everything I could and rebooted, but I saw now difference.

Thanks for trying. Any other ideas?

Thanks!!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this relevant to your situation? The InCD/Nero download referred to can be found here.

You might also try reinstalling the CD-ROM drivers.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Triy--

I don't know if when you put in your CD-Rom it's being recognized i.e. when you change from a music CD to Office is the CD-ROM icon updated in My Computer or Explorer when you change media--does it display anything or does it still display the music CD? I know it isn't riunning it. See if any of these three help. I don't think that they're labeled for XP matters:

311455: You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive
    316259: CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device.
    817357:The AutoPlay Function Does Not Work and the Current Media Does Not Appear in My Computer When You Insert a CD or DVD

Take a look at the Workaround in the first one particulary--do those steps help? Close Windows Explorer if its open. Go to Start/Control Panel/Double click System/Hardware/Device Manager. Expand DVD/CD-ROM. Click the appropriate device, and then click Uninstall on the Action menu. When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes. Quit Device Manager and Control Panel. When you check the drivers and on the drivers tab in device manager, is everything okay there? Any bangs? Would updating a driver on either of those devices help?

This one's down the list:

173584: CD-ROM May Not Run Automatically in Windows

SMBP