New Lounger
    Thanks

W2K SP4 Harddisk Requirements

MS KB821258 states that W2K SP4 requires 105 Mb harddisk space if installation is from a distribution folder on the network and if the uninstallation backup is not requested. I'm trying to update a machine with 151 Mb free in the W2K partition and I'm getting an installation failure message saying the process requires 99Mb more free space than available (I assume this means 250 Mb free space in total). This seems to be wildly out of sync with the KB article. Has anyone else experienced this - have a work around?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: W2K SP4 Harddisk Requirements

That number may be the additional amount required to run with SP4 - not necessarily what is required to install SP4. In any event have you cleaned up the partition as much as possible - deleted temp files, emptied temporary internet files, etc. You could also temporarily move your swap file to another partition.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for the response. Yes, everything that can be deleted has been deleted - the swap file on this partition is the minimum allowed for a boot partition (5 Mb - for a BSOD dump). The machine already has W2K at SP3 running, so I while I can see there's a temporary requirement for disk space for installing the service pack, I would think after all is said and done, the disk usage should remain about the same.

I'm questioning what seems to be a major incongruity between what Microsoft states is the requirement and what it actually seems to be. While I realize the 99.99% of the time, Microsoft's code works right out of the box, running for years at a time without problems, this may be one of those rare times when it doesn't and I was wondering if anyone else experienced this or if, somehow, I just got lucky!

Regards,

Administrator
    Thanks

Brian, Does your distribution folder have the original service pack file or the extracted files? If it is the original then applying it will copy the whole file to the local PC before starting the install.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

The distribution folder has the original, downloaded file (W2KSP4_EN.EXE). I've noticed when I run that file, at the point in the process when the files are extracted, they are extracted to a temporary folder on a different partition. I've also specified updating with and without backing up the uninstall files. When I specified with the uninstall, I've specified a directory in a partition different than the boot partition.

Regards,

Administrator
    Thanks

Brian, Do you have hibernation on? Do you have access to any partition management tools so you can increase the size of the partition (at least temporarily)? Have you done a defrag recently? Are there any particularly large files you could move temporarily?

Joe
    Joe