Thread: Shutdown icon

Thanks

Shutdown icon

At one time I saw details on how to create a single Icon script to activate the shut down and power off command functions for windows 2000 and or XP. However , I have not been able to find this information again. Of course I cannot remember the script or where I found it. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: Shutdown icon

Thanks a lot. Once again Woody's come through faster, clearer and better than any other support system. Be it free, paid or corporate, none can compare. Woody's is the best......

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Be aware that if you have any programs and files open and not saved, you will NOT be asked if you want to save the changed file and will lose all that was not saved.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I see what you mean there with these. That's a good point. But I try my best if I have an optional shutdown (I have these but use regular shut down) to close everything myself. It's only the times if you crash and restart or rarely I have to restart to get out of a freeze where I wouldn't close and save everything with respect for doing that. This reminds me though of something I have heard but wonder your take on this.

I've always heard and read a few places you don't want to shut down via the button on your computer because it can jeapordize memory--how exactly it does this I don't know, or if that's valid. How do you feel about button shutdowns and reasons to avoid it?

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Only as a last resort should one ever turn off the power to their system to fgorce a shut down. The main issue with this is the processes do not get shut down properly and the disk drive can become scrambled long before there would a memory problem. With a proper shutdown the working temp files are deleted and would not be left on the hard drive.

By the way, the short cut discussed above will FORCE all processes to shut down NOW, even if they are NOT ready to be shut down.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.