Star Lounger
    Thanks

disabled features in Word

I was helping a friend with some Word 97 problems yesterday and found several surprises. The big one was that the charitable group that had loaned her the computer, a Compaq 486 DX-4/100 running Win 95b had disabled the automated grammar and spell checkers. She has arthritis in both hands and, as a consequence, gets lots of double strikes, spaces where she does not want them and double spaces where she should have only one.

I went to Tools|Options|Spelling & Grammar and found ticks in the boxes that hide Spelling and Grammar errors and both functions were greyed out so I could not switch either function on.

I am surprised that these facilities haves been disabled on a computer used by someone for whom it would be such a benefit.

However, how is this done and how do I undo it?

Cheers, Geoff

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: disabled features in Word

The files needed were NOT installed. I would contact the group that loan her the machine and see if they would install the files.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave, we will do that. Cheers

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I've also had this problem where I work, however, I know the options were installed (I did the installations). The options just greyed out.

I tried getting help from Microsoft, but didn't feel like harassing anyone for more than a few hours. I simply just reinstalled the software.
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think it might be possible that these features have been turned off using the policy editor. I am not sure why you would turn such useful features off. I know that Spell check can freeze word (I can hunt down KB articles if requested). Generally the policy editor is used to turn off dangerous features like Fast Saves [img]/w3timages/icons/scream.gif[/img] or Apply Styles Based on Your Formatting .[img]/w3timages/icons/sick.gif[/img]
    Doubt this was of any help, but thought I would suggest it anyway!
    Rebecca Wiggins (GirlFriday)