New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 Problem (Outlook 2000 SP3)

Yesterday, while minimized, Outlook generated an error message saying an error occurred, Outlook was closing and a log was created. This happened several more times. Outlook only runs for a few minutes before the error occurs. Rebooted the PC (XP Pro SP1 256meg) with no luck. Ran detect and repair - nothing. Checked with NAV, Adaware, Spybot and PestPatrol for problems - none found. Ran the scanpst with no problems. I checked for new security patches. The Task Manager shows the usual processes running. The PST file is about 70M in size. When Outlook is running, all features are available and functioning. Everything else on the PC is running just fine. I have been unable to find the log file it says is being generated to pinpoint a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 Problem (Outlook 2000 SP3)

What other software is running that might be using Outlook, i.e., fax, Palm or Pocket PC, auto answer and even a program that may be accessing the "Contacts"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

There is no other software running on this PC that would access Outlook. Currently running are NAV, ZoneAlarm, InCD, Pest Patrol MemCheck and Post It Notes. This same configuration has been running for over a year with updates as needed. This is a desktop unit that usually runs 24/7. Outlook and PowerDesk usually run 24/7. I check the processes every week or so and it's just the usual suspects.

Thanks,

Thanks

Do you think the error occurs when trying to Send (i.e., bad message in the Outbox) or Receive (i.e., bad message on the server)? Or is it unrelated to Send/Receive?

You could try the CleanReminders switch in case there has been some kind of corruption there. If you do a search on this board for CleanReminders you should be able to find some further tips on that.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The Send/Receive has nothing to do with the error. Outlook will run for a few minutes then generate the error message. I tried the /CleanReminders switch but that had no effect. The program is fully functional in the few minutes that it is running. Then you get the 'Outlook has generated errors and will be closed by Windows' message. You can then start Outlook immediately and it will work fine for another few minutes.