2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Modify add-in Macro (word 2000,XP Home)

Some of the macros that ViaVoice has added have some annoyances that I would like to modify. They are contained in xxx.dot that is shown on my templates/addins. If I open that document I can find the macros in question. If I modify these macros and save the document with the same name, I expect that next time I open ViaVoice that the modified macros should be active.

Is that correct?

I realize that I should save a copy of the originals with some other name In case I need to revert.

Are there pitfalls in this approach that i should avoid?
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Modify add-in Macro (word 2000,XP Home)

I don't have ViaVoice so I can't give you specific advice but...

Your reasoning is sound but I would be surprised if you could edit the ViaVoice macros. If the software manufacturer let you edit the macros then they would not stay in business for long as you would have all their IP and their support costs would balloon as people break their macros and then expect the help desk to know what was changed.

xxx.dot doesn't sound like a great name for commercial software - are you sure it comes with ViaVoice?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modify add-in Macro (word 2000,XP Home)

Sorry I missled you, the file is actually named dictation.dot

I did have some trouble trying to modify the file, but I have found another way to undo the action of that macro by writting one of my own. I was hoping not to have to do that, but it may be a preferable way to do it.

i understand your point about the development costs, but this is not their latest version and have already stopped supporting it.

Thanks for your response!
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2