4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FIND commands (97)

Hi, I have nearly finished my database, but for one last thing!

I have set up a command button to open the FIND dialog box, using the wizard from the control panel and i get the code:

Screen.PreviousControl.SetFocus
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 10, , acMenuVer70

Will this work if i disable all the menus? As once the database is complete i want to do this, to restrict access etc. If not, is there another way of activating this find box with VB?

Also, how can i get the FIND Dialog box to default to the way I want it, this being to search any part of field, not to limit to current field and so forth. I can't find any help on this in the help files.

any ideas greatly appreciated. All i want to do is to be able to search through the current records for any instance of the search string.

Thanks
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FIND commands (97)

As far as I know, the code equivalents of menu items will still work if you disable the menus themselves. The code with DoMenuItem is a bit old-fashioned, as you can see from the acMenuVer70 argument. This is not your fault, even in Access 2002 the command button wizard still produces antiquated Access 2 and Access 95 (= version 7) code! However, there is a more "modern" equivalent:

RunCommand acCmdFind

(In case you are interested, see Converting DoMenuItem to RunCommand for a list of DoMenuItem equivalents.)

There is no built-in way to control the settings in the Find dialog in code. One way is to use SendKeys, which works for specifying that you want to search any part of a field, but not (easily) for specifying that you want to search the entire form. Another way is to do a dummy search first:

Screen.PreviousControl.SetFocus
    ' Search for something innocuous, like a space
    DoCmd.FindRecord " ", acAnywhere, False, acSearchAll, True, acAll, False
    ' Open the Find dialog
    RunCommand acCmdFind

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FIND commands (97)

Thanks Hans, thats very helpful [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

i used this with a

sendkeys "{BS}" to set the search area to null. This does the trick!
    Thanks,

pmatz