2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Panic Attack (2000)

I have been using frmCalendar and basCalendar (from Access 2000 Developer's Handbook Volume:1) for several years. in my applications. For some unkown reason this past Saturday every one of the functions developed a Run Time Error 2452. "The expression you entered has an invalid reference to the Parent Property." When I run the debug if brings me to this Private Function LoadedAsSubForm()
    Dim strName As String
    On Error Resume Next
    ' This action will trigger a runtime
    ' error if the form isn't loaded as a subform.
    strName = Me.Parent.Name
    LoadedAsSubForm = (Err.Number = 0)
    Err.Clear
    End Function
    What in the world would trigger this error after all of this time? I use the call to let end users select a date from the popup Calendar. As you can imagine there is a ton of these scattered through out the networked programs. I need to fix this before Tuesday and the staff comes back on full force. I have added a sample dB that demos how I usually use the function. I need help and quickly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Panic Attack (2000)

Please be aware that everyone at Woody's Lounge is a volunteer. I can understand your panic, but you can't demand "help and quickly" (see <!rule=17>Rule 17<!/rule>.)

Your forms don't cause a problem on my PC. Perhaps there is a reference that is not valid on the PC where you are testing. Activate the Visual Basic Editor, and select Tools | References... If there are references starting with MISSING, note which ones they are, then clear their check boxes and click OK. See if that resolves the problems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Point taken. I apoligize that I came off demanding. All of the volunteers at this site have and continue to be a valued resource. That the form didn't cause a runtime error on your PC just underlies my confusion. I have been running this type of form for several years with no problem. And thank you for your quick response.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

So is your problem resolved? Did you have a missing reference?
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I could not find any missing references. The situation just does not make any sense. The module and form has worked fine for several years. As far as i can tell nothing on the server or my home PC has changed. The code hangs up when it gets to the "strName = Me.Parent.Name" line. When I take out that line the frmCalendar opens but doesn't open to the current date and will not pass the date to the underlying form. If I can't figure it out I will just have to delete all of those date selector buttons and go back to typing in the dates manually.

Thanks

Have you recently applied any Service Packs to Windows; Office or Jet?

If you have Jet SP7 then that could explain your problem - Jet SP7 was a crock!

Just a thought
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The code using Parent is meant to test whether frmCalendar is opened by itself or as a subform on a main form. Do you need both ways in your database? If you always open frmCalendar by itself, or always as a subform, you don't need the test. so the code could be simplified. But it remains strange that the code worked without problem for years.

Note: one of the PC's I use has Jet 4.0 SP6, the other one Jet 4.0 SP8. I don't get an error on either one.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I've had a similar problem to this.
    Mine is caused by having VB6 and Access running on the same machine.
    It always happens when trying to use a calendar control.

The only way I resolve this is to select to repair office !
    All works ok until I use VB again, but this works for me.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, that worked fine on my PC. I am contacting my IT people now to do the same on my server. Many Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I am in a one deep slot in my organization with no tech support or coworkers with enough knowlege to help out when I run into problems. Without support groups like this one I would be in deep **** all of the time.