3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Developer wont install (XP Home)

I've just bought a new computer with Windows XP Home Edition. I tried to install Office Developer, but a message came up saying that the version of Windows XP didn't have the appropriate files that Developer needed (option 1 on the developer install disk).

Being too terrified to start stuffing up my crystal clean XP Home OS, I opted to quit.

What do I need to do to install Developer? Are there any 'gotcha's' to be aware of? Do I need to upgrade to XP Pro?

Thanks again!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Developer wont install (XP Home)

You are not required to have Pro to run Office Developer Edition. Can you provide more specifics about the service pack levels of your operating system? Which version of Office Dev are you trying to install?
    -Mark

Thanks

I have a vague recollection that one of the Office installers failed if your MDAC (data access files such as ADO) were more up-to-date than the ones on the CD. I don't recall the fix for this, but if you search the Lounge with the precise error message, you might find a link to it here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks gentlemen.
    JSCher, I'll follow up that lead. That is precisely my fear, that if I proceed I'll overwrite files with older versions and the whole system will come crashing down around my ears, never to be repaired.

Mark,
    I'm using Windows XP (Home) v. 5.1 Build 2600 xpsp 2.030422-1633 service pack 1. I'm sure all those numbers make a great deal of sense...
    I don't know which version of developer (apart from XP) as I can't get past the opening screen which reads:
    "Windows Component Update. System Update has detected that some of the Windows components that are installed do not match the version required for Office XP Developer. You must install a different version of these Widnwos components."

No mention of what these mysterious components might be or whether I can back them up first. Reeeeeally helpful, Redmond!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW I have successfully installed XP Developer on XP Pro without any adverse impact on my system - within the last few months. As this was a test set-up, I regret I cannot give you any more precise details. I am fairly clear that it didn't require any retrospective steps. In any event, if an installer routine attempts to overwrite a key DLL, XP will simply reach into its dllcache folder and replace whatever has done the overwriting with XP's own requirement. HTH
    Gre