Thread: XP - Home (Unk)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP - Home (Unk)

Friend has a Compaq Desktop that is showing a weird behavior with vertical scrolling. The PC scrolls by itself whenever there is a vertical scroll bar present. It goes up and down wildly (fast). There seems to be no problem with her mouse or other devices settings. Could this be caused by a virus? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP - Home (Unk)

It could be caused by a virus, or a Trojan could do a variety of things to mess with her and her computer when the Trojan maker felt like it. I'd run her Antivirus scan, Spybot and Adaware. If you find anything, you can context it at the antivirus software sites. For reference:
    Starpost 296439: AntiAdaware, Spyware, Hijack

I am also reminded of this Annoying Behavior With Scrollbar After Update Thread but I don't know if she's doing anything with the pointer, and its a slightly different problem then you seem to present. Scrollbar behavior is sometimes influenced by factors that impact a particular browser, and although One Stat says 94.8% use IE and 68.1% use IE 6 globally as one of their browsers, I'm not sure what browser she uses.

SMBP

Thanks

That's really strange. Does this happen in all applications or just certain ones? I do have some suspicions about the mouse. Is it optical?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen similar behaviour to this when the scroll wheel on a mouse was faulty. Try disconnecting the mouse and see if the screen settles down.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Appreciate everyone's help. Tried the "faulty mouse" solution and the problem went away while it was unplugged. Will wait for their new mouse. Thanks again!!!