New Lounger
    Thanks

Mysterious Deleting (2000)

In our current database we have a table that includes all of our vendors. For some reason all of the vendors beginning with the letters A through K get deleted. I am able to use them right after they are entered but once I exit out of the database and then re-enter they are no longer there.......Weird? Yes! Help Please

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mysterious Deleting (2000)

Can you post a copy of the db? Kind of hard to guess what's wrong....

New Lounger
    Thanks

The size of the db is too large to post. Is there anything else I may be able to do in order to provide more information???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have an AutoExec macro? Or a startup form specified in Tools | Startup...
    If you would like to post the database, here is my standard recipe.
    <UL><LI>Make a copy of the database and work with that.
    <LI>Remove all database objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules) that are not relevant to the problem.
    <LI>In the remaining table(s), remove most records - leave only the minimum number necessary to demonstrate the problem.
    <LI>Remove or modify data of a confidential nature.
    <LI>Do a compact and repair (Tools/Database Utilities).
    <LI>Make a zip file containing the database; it should be below 100KB.
    <LI>Attach the zip file to a reply.[/list]This will allow other Loungers to look at the problem directly.

Thanks

You say the vendor names starting with A - K are deleted when you re-enter the database.

-Are you sure the vendors are deleted? Check the table where the Vendor data is stored to see if they are actually deleted. Perhaps the data isn't being deleted but the issue is with the form or report you are using to review the data.

- You say you are not able to "Use" them when re-entering the database. How are you "Using" them. If accessing the data in a form or report, make sure there are no filters applied that limits the data.

- You may also want to check relationships / joins on the Vendor table to other tables. ???

- I have databases that put data in a holding table on entry and that data looks as if it was deleted but it isn't. The data isn't available until selected and written to the main table.

As with the others, without seeing the database these are just "guesses" as to what it could be.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If it is actually deleting data, one method you might try, is to get into the database, put in the records that are disappearing, then while you are still in the database, go to Windows Explorer and mark the .mdb as Read-Only. Then close the database, and see what happens. If you don't get any error messages, the records should still be there. If you do, you just found the process that is deleting the records. I find it odd that you would have anything intentionally deleting records though, but I can't disclaim that as a possibity. Are you sure the records are actually gone? (And that they were there to begin with?)