Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator (XP Pro SP1)

when starting up my new Dell dimension 8300, xp asked for user accounts. I set up 4 accounts, myself with administrator status, wife and kids as users. But when I go to > my computer > manage > users I see that there is also "Administrator" . I don't mind cause i've read that for safety reasons I should be a user as well and use an administrator account only when i need to. Problem is, I did not set up the "administrator" account so i don't know the password. When I try to change the password I get a stern warning (you know the one, "if you do this the sky will fall"). Any suggestions? Delete the account, and create a new one? Disregard the stern warning?

Ken.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Administrator (XP Pro SP1)

When at the Welcome Screen, do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and the NT log in screen should appear. Type in the account name "Administrator" and use the password you set it up with.

Or if you have MS TweakUI, you can show it in the Welcome Screen by adding it in the "Logon" area of TweakUI.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thats just it. I don't remember setting up an "administrator" account, so I don't know the password. Would xp pro or a "Dell xp pro" set up an administrator account on its own? I checked my Dell manual, and it says nothing about it. Perhaps I need to have a drink to jog my memory. I'm pretty sure I didn't set it up but ........

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You did NOT set it up. It came with Windows XP and can NOT be deleted. If you were NOT asked for a password, then try the "Enter" key when you try and login. If that works go to control panel, accounts and add a pasword to it.

Lounger
    Thanks

thanks. i thought i was losing it. i'll try that when i get home.

ken.

Lounger
    Thanks

yup. that worked. thanks. i now have a working administrator account when i use the old login screen. but ... not from the new login screen. i don't get an icon to click on like the rest of the accounts. also, when i try to change "my" account to just a user and not an administrator, xp won't let me saying i must have at least one administrator. oh well.
    thanks again

ken.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Broadly speaking, once you create another account, XP hides the Administrator account. This follows standard good practice - in that you should only be logged on as Administrator for special purposes. Otherwise, you should log on with a User Account - even if it may have Administrator rights. HTH
    Gre

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The "Administrator" account is your back door when things go WRONG.

New Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA, thanks for the explanation on passwords in admin account. Can you help out a newbie to XP? I'm getting ready to setup XP Pro on two systems at home, connected via a router and cable modem. There will four users in total, including me. I'd like to have the two systems set up identically, w/ an admin (I understand that happens by default) and four users. When I do the install will it automatically ask me to set up a password for the admin account?

If I read you correctly , it's best to set up a user account for me also, even though I'm the "administrator" of both systems. Is that correct?

TIA,

Jeff

Lounger
    Thanks

after rebooting i was able to change my user status down from administrator to power user or user. everything is good. now running with 1 administrator, 1 power user and 3 users. guest account disabled. nice and secure. thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

All new accounts default to "administrator" permissions unless changed to limited.

I never use "The administrator" account as such, unless I have to because my normal account with administrator permissions has gone wacko.

Each machine will have a "administrator" account by default and the you will need to have Your account with administrator permissions also. Then add the different accounts as needed for the others. Depending how much CONTROL you must have, is going to determine how much work and problems you are going to have.