Thread: msvcrt.dll

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

msvcrt.dll

I was using Cleansweep to delete some programs. I've been using it for a number of years and it's been safe. Well I did something because several programs won't load, now.

I get two dialogs. One says "A device attached to the system is not functioning. [path and executable of program I am trying to launch]". The other says "The MSVCRIT.dll file is linked to missing export msvcrt.dll??_U@YAPAXI@Z."

There is no msvcrit.dll, and MSVCRT.DLL is there.

The programs which will not start include the Palm HotSync Manager, Corel Photo-Paint, and, unfortunately Cleansweep (so I can't restore the programs I removed!).

I tried reinstalling the HotSync manager in hopes that the stuff it needed would be restored. Didn't work.

Any ideas? Please?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: msvcrt.dll - Problem Solved!

Well, it seems Cleansweep was not the culprit. The culprit was the installation routine for Microsoft Personal Web Server. The routine "installs" WinSock 2, even if it is already installed and replaces newer DLLs with older ones in the process. Fortunately, it puts the existing DLLs in a windowsws2bakup directory, so restoration was possible (in DOS mode). Once the existing MSVCRT.DLL was restored to the windowssystem directory, the problem was solved.

<rant> Just about everything wrong with windows functionality can be traced to the reliance on multiple versions of shared DLLs and windows failure to keep track of versions in ways that installation routines can use. The fault is both with the architects of windows and sloppy installation scripts. </rant>