3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

duplicate POP3 retrieval (XP SP2)

I'm using Outlook to access my POP3 mail account and I've selected the option to leave copies of messages on the server and only to remove them once they've been deleted from my Deleted Items.

I have the following problems:-
    a) the same messages keep getting downloaded over and over again.
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] messages don't get removed from the server when items get removed from my Deleted Items locally.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that this feature is very flimsy indeed and doesn't really work like intended.

Any comments?

Thanks

Re: duplicate POP3 retrieval (XP SP2)

In the early days of Office XP, MaryJ reported in <post#=135254>post 135254</post#> that the information as to which messages already were downloaded is now stored inside the PST itself (unlike earlier versions, which stored the information in a separate file). Thus, you could expect duplicates if you downloaded to two different PSTs. I assume, though, that you are getting the duplicates in the same file.

Although I hear about co-workers occasionally getting inundated with all the mail they haven't removed from the server, I haven't seen any pattern to this. Also, I don't know anyone who uses the "delete" option.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am only using one PST.

Sometimes (today I had several instances of this) I get the same messages downloaded every single time Outlook checks the server. This means I got the same messages duplicated in my inbox every 5 minutes! The only way I could solve it was to access my pop3 account via another means (mail2web.com) and remove the offending messages from the server.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Your ISP may be having problems and/or servicing the servers. They would rather keep adding back files from a overlap that to lose them for you.

If this happens only here and there, then it is most likely not on your end, if it happens ALL the time then it would be.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, so what to do when it happens all the time? I know I've seen this discussed before but I can't put together a decent search on Google to find the answer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you talked to your ISP?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My apologies - the ISP finally responded that they are making changes to the POP daemon. In the mean time, I used web mail to go directly to the mail server and marked the messages read there. That seemed to help this time.