4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot problem (Win XP Pro)

I'm cleaning a friends PC which was riddled with viruses & spyware. Having got all the data files cleaned, and saved elsewhere. I formatted the HD and re-installed WIndows XP followed by Mcafee Virus Scan.. Next I put on AOL Broadband and tried to connect to update the virus signatures. Instantly I was connected with AOL UK, I got infected with MS-Laugh. I had the fix-blast removal tool elsewhare, so I ran that, and all was well. Connected again, and was re-infected, although it was not so clear which virus was on-board, as I could not stay on-line long enough to find out.

Here in the UK, we have no choice but to use the AOL connection, and I could not go straight to the Mcafee site to download updates.(or even MS to get the Update that would stop Blaster infecting me). SO I took the HD home, used my own PC, made the new drive the master, formatted, installed Win XP & Mcafee, and then went online and got the latest version of the virus sigs, plus the Windows updates.

I then put the disk back in the original PC, and each time it starts, I get the XP message about failure to start properly, and which should I try. "Start Windows normally" is highlighted. If I select it, the "countdown" to zero stops, and the PC hangs. If I select Safe Mode or Command prompt, the system attempts to restart but hangs at MUP.sys.

If I put the HD back in my own PC it starts fine, and it runs as it should

I've checked the Startup tab on MSCONFIG, and there's nothing there. I presume the BIOS will not be holding any info on the boot state, so what could I be misisng.

Mant thanks in advance.

Colin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Boot problem (Win XP Pro)

It sounds like you may be running afoul of the WinXP product activation scheme - because your hardware configuration is different from that of your friend. This may be the case even though you have yet to activate the reinstall.

The data is held in a file called wpa.dbl in your WindowsSystem32 directory. From what you say, you may not have backed this up when you cleaned up your friend's computer. What you could try is to back the file up by removing it from its present location and see whether you are able to boot that way. If you have success, you should find that a fresh wpa.dbl will have been created - reflecting the hardware configuration on your friend's computer.

HTH
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If you are trying to install an OEM version that may be your problem. An OEM version gets tied to a PC. You might try running a repair from the CD.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I must admit, I never even gave Activation a thought.

What you suggested itself made no difference, but it made me think. As I now had up-to-date Virus protection on the PC, I simply did a "Repair" install with the disk back in its own hardware environment, and all's well.

Thanks for the input.

PS shame that the error message didn't mention Activation!!!

Colin