Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: opening documents taking a long time (2000 SP3)

Can't help with causes or solutions, but your document opened in 20 seconds on my old clunker PII 233 128MB RAM/ Win98SE/ Office 2000.

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that. Things have move on a little. Now have a solution to the cause, but its a solution to repairing the cause I need.
    Cause: all the documents are made from a personal template. There's about 998Mb of them.
    The template when I go into tools, templates and addins is oldervertemplate Which is the old server now switched off. If I change it to nameof newserverlocation of template. The files open instantly or within seconds. How can I change all files to look for the template on the new server rather than the old?

New Lounger
    Thanks

opening documents taking a long time (2000 SP3)

Since a folder was moved to a new server all the old word documents in it are taking a long time to open. For example: a one page doc 43K in size can take anywhere from 80 seconds to 4 minutes to open. If select all is used on a document and copied to a new document and saved the doc will open very quickly (normally). Also, some users on other PC do not have this problem and some it causes their PC to lock up. The server transferred from was NT4 and to windows 2000. Have attached a sample which takes 4 minutes to open on my PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks HansV have removed attachment now I have an answer, yes just remove the pat in your mail thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The sample document you posted has a network path as template. Presumably, your system is trying desperately to find this template on the network. On other systems, it may become clear quickly that the path doesn't exist.

(DONE - Note: if the above file path is confidential, please remove your attachment and notify me so that I can edit this post.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can write code to loop through the documents and change the template. Problem is that you need to open the document to do so... If you could revive and connect the olde server temporarily, that would speed up things enormously.

Here is some air code (untested) that loops through all Word docs in a folder and its subfolders, checks the template, and changes it if necessary:

Sub ChangeTemplate(FolderName As String, _
    OldTemplate As String, NewTemplate As String)
    Dim i As Long
    Dim doc As Document

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

With Application.FileSearch
    .FileName = "*.doc"
    .LookIn = FolderName
    .SearchSubFolders = True

If .Execute > 0 Then
    For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
    Set doc = Documents.Open(.FoundFiles(i))

If UCase(doc.AttachedTemplate) = UCase(OldTemplate) Then
    doc.AttachedTemplate = NewTemplate
    doc.Save
    End If

doc.Close SaveChanges:=False
    Next i
    End If
    End With

ExitHandler:
    Set doc = Nothing
    Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
    MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
    Resume ExitHandler
    End Sub

Make sure you have a backup before trying it, and preferably test it on a folder with only a few documents first. Call it like this:

ChangeTemplate "serverpath", "oldserveroldpatholdtemplate.dot", "newservernewpathnewtemplate.dot"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you HansV, we will try that. My main concern is over now - rely worried that 8 years of traceability was going to be lost.
    If your code does not work i will just alter the path as and when I need to open old documents.