New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening files in CD drive

Last evening I attempted to open a file from a CD in a WinXP machine I'm working on for my son. The drive is at most 1.5 - 2 yrs old, and has generally worked flawlessly. Logged in as administrator and clicking on an .exe file, nothing happened. I right clicked and selected Open from the menu ... nothing. I opened Run and typed the appropriate command ... nothing.

I removed it and tried it in another XP machine ... no problem, opened right up. Tried another cd in the first drive ... no problem.

Probably would have thought no more about it, except that this a.m. at work, I attempted to open an .exe file from a different cd on my Win98 machine, and nothing happened; tried another cd and no problem. Tried the first cd on my Win2000 machine and got the "Administrator ... Required" (which at least told me that there was a reaction).

Any ideas ... I'm baffled !!

Many thanks ...

Thanks

Re: Opening files in CD drive

I gather than Windows Explorer at least can read the file names. Are you able to copy files from the problem CDs in the problem drive?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening files in CD drive

I may see where you're headed, jscher2000. With the "problem" drive here at work (Win98 machine), yes ... but the .exe file won't open in another drive either (but will open in my Win2000 machine).

I'll try the other CD and machine at home this evening ... Many thanks