3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can P2 400Mhz run XP Pro? (XP Pro)

I need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall my OS (shudder - the very thought fills me with abject horror).

Will XP Pro run on a P2 400 Mhz Gateway with 128 Mb RAM? Or should I go with Win 2000 Pro?

The current OS for this machine is Win98, but I think it's time to upgrade.

Thanks for your comments.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can P2 400Mhz run XP Pro? (XP Pro)

The most singnificant factor is whether Windows XP supports your hardware. Many modems, scanners and other devices that work fine on Windows 2000 have no drivers for Windows XP. If all of your hardware has Windows XP support then this is definitely a better choice.

You can find the latest Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for Windows XP by following links from <!mskb=314062>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 314062<!/mskb>. (Follow links to the Windows Catalog, Hardware and look in the lists for each hardware component in your system.)

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP is of course quite a bit happier with more than 128mb ram, and you would be quite a bit happier with XP if you increase your ram when you do the upgrade. You should be able to jump up to 256 or 512 (depending on your motherboard) for under $50 if you look around, and it'll be well worth it.

kip

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ummm Hi Cowboy!

(subliminal hint: ram ram ram ram)

kip

Banned Member
    Thanks

WinXp does not run very good with only 128 MB Memory, and I have had WinXP on a Pent 111 450MHZ and it was to slow and sluggish. I put Win98 back on that computer and it ran great. I have a Pent 111 933MHZ running at 1050 MHZ and WinXP pro runs great on it, but not with less then 256 MB of Ram. WinXP love memory like a kid loves candy. I personaly wouldn't run WinXp on Processor smaller then 600 to 800 MHZ, but thats just me. Others may disagree and thats OK, because thats what a forum is all about.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Hi Kip , your quite right of course. Ram Ram Ram

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good point, Stuart, thanks. Actually my scanner (HP 5) doesn't have XP drivers so my choice is now either Win 2000 Pro or reinstall Win 98, the current system.

Does my P2 400Mhz 128Mb RAM have enough grunt to run Win 2000 Pro? Or would it simply crawl along?

Thanks again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Can it? Sure. Would you be happy with it? Probably not.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's how I would approach this, and really, how I have approached this since your computer is quite similar to one of mine.

Point #1. Windows XP is a much better OS than either 2000 or 98, and I would place high priority on migrating to XP
    Point #2. More ram is better, not just for XP, and should be strongly considered even if you stick with 98.
    Point #3. Even though your scanner does not pass the hardware test for XP, that doesn't mean you can't use it. See what HP says here

Even if you had to upgrade your scanner, I would still lean heavily towards an XP upgrade. My father is using XP home on a PIII 450 / 384mb ram and it just sings along. I don't notice frustratingly different performance between his and my 2.4g machine with 1g ram. That's of course with Office type applications and not photo editing, etc.

good luck,

kip

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all of your for your comments. I'm in a much better position to move forward now.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Kip I think there may be a little difference. Your Dads is a Pent 3 450, the other is a Pent 2 400 and I don't think he's gonna like the way WinXP runs on a Pent 2 400. Then again to each his own and I hope whatever you choose it works good for you.