Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing Styles (2000 SR-1)

Is there a way to have Word eliminate one style and automatically replace it with another. For example, I have a friend's large document in which much of the text has used a style named "list". I would like to change all paragraphs with the "list' style to "body text" without going through paragraph by paragraph.

Also, changed one of the heading styles to omit italics, added it to the template and clicked on Apply. However, it seems to apply the revised style only to one selected heading at a time. I thought that it would apply it to all paragraphs with that style. Am I missing something here?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replacing Styles (2000 SR-1)

In reply to your first question. You can use
    <font face="Georgia">
    Edit > Replace.
    Click on More
    In the Find What box, click special, Any Character
    Format > Style > List
    Go to the replacement box
    Special > Find What Text
    Format > Style > Body Text
    Then click replace all
    </font face=georgia>

For your second question, you could try setting the check mark for "Automatically Update Document Styles..." in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog. Make sure you clear it again after you have done this, or the document will always pick up replacement styles from the template even if you had customised them in the document on purpose.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart,

I forgot about checking the Auto Update box -- all I had remembered was that checking it resulted in all kinds of problems. But I see that you need to do it once and then turn it back off to avoid the problems.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chuck:
    With regard to your second question, it sounds like all you're doing is changing the style in a template, which won't change styles in your document (unless you check Tools/Templates & add-ins/Automatically update document styles.

To change the style definitions in a document, the easiest way (generally) is:
    1. First make manual changes to that style in a paragraph.
    2. Then click inside the style box on the formatting toolbar & press <enter>. A dialog box pops up.
    3. Choose the option that says "update the style..." & press <enter>.

All paragraphs with that style should then update. If they don't it's because the other paragraphs with that style had manual formatting applied. However, if you have many documents that you need to do this to, making the changes in the attached template & then checking the box for "Automatically update document styles" is better, as Stuart has noted.
    Cheers,
    Hope this helps,