5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pivot Table Inconsistencies (XL97SR2)

One of our users is having a problem creating a pivot table for a spreadsheet. The pivot table seems to be good, but if he tests it by re-running the pivot table and displaying it on another worksheet, the results are different. He has done this 3 times. Same data, same source. Resulting pivot tables should be the same in all 3. But, they aren't.

I have checked and I can't see what is happening to cause this. He said he is concerned that if he runs a pivot table on the source data, he can't trust the result because of this. I am attaching the workbook for you to see the PID sheet (source data) and the 3 pivot tables.

What am I missing? This seems like it should be a simple thing.

Thanks

Re: Pivot Table Inconsistencies (XL97SR2)

the pivot tables on the 3 sheets are not linked to the data in the worksheet. They are an "external link": In the workbook they should be:
    'PID Sort'!$C$1:$E$297
    Try 1 is linked to :
    [Melanie Sample Pivot W''ho Mat''ls 31Dec03.xls]CC Sort'!$C$2:$E$280
    Try2:
    [Melanie Sample Pivot W''ho Mat''ls 31Dec03.xls]PID Sort'!$C$2:$E$279
    Try3
    [Melanie Sample Pivot W''ho Mat''ls 31Dec03.xls]CC Sort'!$C$2:$E$279

So even though they are linked to an external file, they all have different ranges. It is also not the complete range shown in the sample attached.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pivot Table Inconsistencies (XL97SR2)

Well.. duh. I tried extracting just the sheets that were affected and apparently didn't double check my links. So sorry. I played with it again this morning after a good night's sleep and did discover that I was missing something very simple. The user had changed sort order when he created the sheets and when he picked the ranges, he left out some of the data. I feel silly having posted before thoroughly checking it out. Thank you for taking the time to look at it and consider it.