Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Ephrata, Washington, USA
    Posts
    683
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Pivot Table Inconsistencies (XL97SR2)

    One of our users is having a problem creating a pivot table for a spreadsheet. The pivot table seems to be good, but if he tests it by re-running the pivot table and displaying it on another worksheet, the results are different. He has done this 3 times. Same data, same source. Resulting pivot tables should be the same in all 3. But, they aren't.

    I have checked and I can't see what is happening to cause this. He said he is concerned that if he runs a pivot table on the source data, he can't trust the result because of this. I am attaching the workbook for you to see the PID sheet (source data) and the 3 pivot tables.

    What am I missing? This seems like it should be a simple thing.

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP sdckapr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    11,225
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 342 Times in 335 Posts

    Re: Pivot Table Inconsistencies (XL97SR2)

    the pivot tables on the 3 sheets are not linked to the data in the worksheet. They are an "external link": In the workbook they should be:
    'PID Sort'!$C$1:$E$297
    Try 1 is linked to :
    [Melanie Sample Pivot W''ho Mat''ls 31Dec03.xls]CC Sort'!$C$2:$E$280
    Try2:
    [Melanie Sample Pivot W''ho Mat''ls 31Dec03.xls]PID Sort'!$C$2:$E$279
    Try3
    [Melanie Sample Pivot W''ho Mat''ls 31Dec03.xls]CC Sort'!$C$2:$E$279

    So even though they are linked to an external file, they all have different ranges. It is also not the complete range shown in the sample attached.

    Steve

  3. #3
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Ephrata, Washington, USA
    Posts
    683
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Pivot Table Inconsistencies (XL97SR2)

    Well.. duh. I tried extracting just the sheets that were affected and apparently didn't double check my links. So sorry. I played with it again this morning after a good night's sleep and did discover that I was missing something very simple. The user had changed sort order when he created the sheets and when he picked the ranges, he left out some of the data. I feel silly having posted before thoroughly checking it out. Thank you for taking the time to look at it and consider it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •