New Lounger
    Thanks

ME-Computer locks up a lot when linking to sites

Computer locks up a lot when linking to some sites.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ME-Computer locks up a lot when linking to sit

Sorry, but you really need to tell us some more info. Tell us a little about your PC, what browser, an example or two of a site, any messages when it locks, is it frozen completely or can you clear it? You see what I mean, I hope. There's a lot of variables in play. Come on back and we'll give it our best shot.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry. When trying to link to AARP.com, Classmates.com, and any free greeting cards.com such as flowgo.com, etc. I have Netscape, 4.71. Sometimes I can ctrl, alt, del once and get out of it and sometimes restart with ctrl, alt, del the 2nd time. Sometimes
    when doing a virus scan with NAV. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I almost hate to have to tell you this, but you REALLY need to consider upgrading your browser. Any version 4.x Netscape is so far behind the "web coding" times that I'm not at all surprised that you're having problems with many sites. I use Mozilla's "released" version, but the word is that the browser-specific model called Firebird is terrific and even if you chose not to get away from Netscape, their Version 7 would be far better than the older 4.x versions.

Sorry, but I don't use NAV and can't speak to any problems you may be having there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I know I will have to upgrade , however, the last time I upgraded I lost all of my messages on inbox and sent.
    I have quite a few that I really need. How do I go about keeping them? Thanks a lot for your info and quick response.
    LD

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since your Lounge profile doesn't tell anything about you, I'm gonna make an assumption from the fact that you're using a 4.x version of Netscape indicates that you have SOME computer experience with using Windows Explorer and dragging and copying files, for starters. The first thing you need to do is open Windows Explorer and FIND your user profile. I have no way of knowing what folder you installed NS into, so you'll gave ti dig that one out first. When you find where NS is installed AND locate the sub-folder with your user profile you could copy the whole folder to another temporary folder on your hard drive. But the fact is, you probably will only need your BOOKMARK, ADDRESS BOOK files and the sub-folder called MAIL - all of it.

It's been awhile since I looked at NS from that era, so I have to give you possibles here. The bookmark file will be called BOOKMARK(S).HTM(L) with the character in parens the one I'm not sure is there. The address book file has either a .NAB or .PAB file extension. I usually keep a temp folder on my hard drive called Junk, Holding or something like that, just for a placeholder for stuff like this.

If you get that far, come back again and we'll talk about how to re-instate your stuff into either a new Netscape or Mozilla or Firebird, whichever you choose to install.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a million for your help. You are really sharp. I do have some experience. I used to be a computer supervisor
    on the old mainframes and was a PC technician for 3 years and a computer security officer for the DOD. I was in
    the air Force for 8 years and retired from Civil Service with 42 years.
    LD

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to The Lounge, fellow veteran! By the way, there are other threads in the Other Browsers forum that will probably give some inkling of the filenames, including email (use Search). But, when you get to a point where you need/want to talk some more, keep this thread going. I don't think there's any need at this point to move this thread (yet) to that board.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.