New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening separate workbooks in separate windows. (2000)

OS: Win XP. This is a stupid question, but it's vexed me for a week now, and I can't find the answer via a Google search or a search in these forums. This is the question: how can I get Excel to open each workbook in it's very own, sized and formatted, window. That is, I, as I do in Word, would like to open one work book in its own window, and another in it's totally separate, independent window. The properties of these windows should include the ability to tab between the various windows, using the Alt-Tab function of XP.

I recently changed machines and OS's from Win 2000 to XP.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening separate workbooks in separate windows. (2000)

I guess you mean Tools, Options, View, "Windows in Taskbar"?

Or do you really want them in a true separate Excel instance (which is not the same!) ?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening separate workbooks in separate windows

Despite their apparent similarities Word and Excel are written completely differently. What you are asking for is not possible as a default behaviour for Excel. Indeed, I very much doubt that Microsoft could readily redesign Excel to accomplish what you are asking. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

The word "instance" is throwing me. I've seen it in my previous searches. I don't know exactly what it means, in this context. All I'm asking is this: with Internet Explorer, one can open 2, 10, 100 windows, all independent of each other, all containing their own task bars, and all maintaining their own window dimensions. The same with Word. With Word, if I open one letter, it opens in its own window. If I then open the envelope document to print an envelope for that letter, I have Word set so that the envelope doc opens in its own separate window. If I have a doc containing notes regarding the letter, it too is a separate Word doc, and I can open it in its own separate window, and of course toggle between all the documentsk, and all the Internet Explorer windows, and any other file I have open, such as a Photoshop photo file, using the Tab-Alt function of XP.

However, when I open 2 workbooks in Excel, they both reside in the larger, "mother," window of Excel. I would like Excel to behave like Word and Internet Explorer, but if it's not written that way, as a subsequent post here indicates, than I guess I'm SOL :-).

So, can we get workbooks to reside in their own, independent Excel windows, or not? I've already played with all the Tools and Windows options. Please note, though, that when I have 2 or more Excel workbooks open, I can toggle between them using the Tab-Alt function, but each workbook still is confined to general Excel window. If I try to move the workbooks around, they of course knock up against this larger window border.

Perhaps my mistake is assuming that workboods in Excel are like documents in Word, even though each workbook (each file), is listed separately in Windows Explorer, and I can save each individual workbook (file) anywhere I want on my hard drive, in the Windows Explorer tree.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excel acts differently from Word in this respect. The only way to get two independent Excel windows is to start Excel twice, but this uses up a lot of memory. Starting Excel twice is what is meant by having two "instances" of Excel open.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much guys (and girls!, if any). You've answered my question.