4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Taskmanager Accuracy

I have used PCs for many years, but never looked into system usage. Due to some software we set up for a client, I now need to.
    They checked the task manager CPU and memory usage and asked us to look into their findings as they were not happy with the result.

On a twin 2.4ghz processor, 4GB Ram machine (I think win 2K server is on it but im not 100% sure), running terminal server with 7 users using a 30mb database,
    each users database took 50mb memory and the processor was always at 100%.

I started with a few preliminary tests and noticed that a database using forms or reports takes up its approximate size in memory, then increases slightly when more forms etc are opened, so can I assume this is normal?
    If so, does that make Access databases very unsuitable for terminal servers or would the PC manage the resources ok?

I had a look at the CPU usage as well. When doing ANYTHING on an Access form, there is 100% usage even on a regular PC (not Terminal server), so with 7 users there's a chance someone will always be doing something. Would it be fair to say that this is an incorrect view of system resources?

Can anyone suggest a good way to prove to our client that it is not specifically our database that makes the pretty graphs show 100% usage all of the time?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Thanks

Re: Windows Taskmanager Accuracy

> Can anyone suggest a good way to prove to our client that it is not specifically our database that makes
    > the pretty graphs show 100% usage all of the time?

Try a search... someone posted an extremely similar question recently.

I think if you do a demo with the MS-provided sample database (Northwind?) and get the same results, that should pretty much prove the point.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil

It may be a stupid suggestion, but what do you see about percentage CPU usage in Task Manager => Processes? This breaks down the total CPU usage as seen in the Performance screen.

But you probably have done this already, so apologies...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry jscher2000, I didn't realise that the search facility was back up and running, i've not been on the lounge for a couple of months.

Thanks for your reply John, however, I was informed of MS article 160819 which tells me all about how, when Access 97 is idle, it keeps the CPU indicator at 100% which made sure Access didnt start processing any background tasks during periods of inactivity.

That was the last thing I expected it to be, but I suppose that's what comes from using an old product!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil

I know nothing about Access, except that we have an Access database system used for setting up our Logon Scripts. I had noticed that "some of the time" it was using 100% CPU, but not always. I put the matter to the developers, and they didn't know why this happened. We haven't gone past Access 97 (mostly), so I can't say whether it still applies in newer, and even more wonderful, versions.

I'd presumed you'd been in Processes already, but part of my job is not to make assumptions!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...