Star Lounger
    Thanks

NTFS persmissions

Some of my users have taken it upon themselves to move and/or delete folders and files. I want to stop them doing this but its a bit more complicated than denying them delete rights. I need these users to be able to create folders and create files and subfolders within. Denying them delete rights causes a problem when creating a new folder or file. The process lets the user create a new object, say, New Folder, but won't let them rename it because the New Folder object needs to be deleted. I also need these permissions to propagate.

Can this be done?

TIA
    Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NTFS persmissions

Can you give CreatorOwner delete access to the folders and files. This should enable people to delete and rename files that they have created themselves.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart

How do I do this? For simplicity's sake I could assign full control to CreatorOwner but if the user creating the file or folder is a member of a group that has delete rights denied then the most restrictive rights apply, the user cannot delete even if the creatorowner. Have I got this right or am I missing something more fundamental?

Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have this correct. If you DENY delete access to a group or user then they won't be able to delete the file.
    You should grant delete access to CREATOROWNER and neither grant nor deny it to anyone else (except Administrators)

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Now we're getting somewhere. Works fine.

Now the tricky bit. Once the user has successfully created his new folder how do you then stop him/her from deleting it? More a case of them not being able to move the folder than actually zap it but it amounts to the same thing I suppose.

Many thanks
    Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My best suggestion is run a nightly script to remove the delete access from existing folders. but maybe another lounger will have a better idea.

StuartR