New Lounger
    Thanks

programs at start-up (Windows XP Pro)

I just installed Windows XP Pro. Now every time I boot up I get many programs that load, several that I don't want to load. How do I stop these programs from loading.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: programs at start-up (Windows XP Pro)

Check Cocuments and Settings<login name>Start MenuProgramsStartup and Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup.

Also, select Start | Run..., type regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun.

Both folders and the registry entry contain items that are started up automatically. Some will be useful (your virus scanner for instance), so look carefully before removing items.

Also, take a look at <!post=Anti Adware / Spyware /Hijack,296439>Anti Adware / Spyware /Hijack<!/post>. Programs such as AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy can identify malware.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

See these threads and their links: I also find running something like the terribly useful Aida32 Enterprise whatever the machine (they have a new Beta just out that works very well) and clicking on Processes is very helpful to quickly ID the processes and their backgrounds and also free Snooper V 1.4 from Karen's Power Tools and Spybot's Tools>System Startup. Also very useful is Post 302353: Startup Organizer which goes beyond most programs, but it will cost $25. I let Aida run in my Notification Area often.not that much resource grabberwith 35 IE windows open 2 Explorer folders and 4 additional programs running:

Post 323450: Useless Processes XP December 18, 2003
    Useless Processes XP December 18, 2003
    Post 319376: Links to Go After CPU ResourceUsage XP December 7, 2003
    Startup: MSCONFIG: September 22, 2003

SMBP

Thanks

Click on Start, Run and type "msconfig" (without the quotes) and click OK. Click the "Startup" tab and uncheck any programs that you don't want starting when Windows loads. After you click on OK, you will be prompted to reboot. When you reboot, a pop up message will inform you that you are starting up in diagnostic mode. This is fine. Simply check "Don't show me this message again", and the next time you boot, this will not be displayed. However, if you make any further changes via "msconfig" this message will reappear. Same procedure.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 25-Jan-04 09:12. To make the links clickable. See the Click TagPanel.)</P>Personally I wouldn['t be without Mike Lin's Startup Control - freeware that installs as a control panel item and lets you disable and enable items from all the probable places. I agree that there is a problem with startup programs being reinstated, usually by viruses/trojans/scumware, but occasionally legitamately. Thing to do is use one of the sugested methods to remove anything you don't want, reboot and check whether any of them have reappeared. If so, a check on Google will usually reveal which ones are legitimate and which aren't. For the illegetimate, most of the major virus sites have tools to get rid of specific ones - I find the Panda website has a very comprehensive set of tools.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The MSCONFIG Utility is awfully useful, but it's not the whole answer for a number of start ups. It's not always a crisp, clear, clean cut "knock it off of MSCONFIG and it's gone from startup situation." This is because some processes and programs that run in the background or that make an appearance on the msconfig utility's startup tab can have a dozen different origins. Ed Bott illustrates this well in XP Inside Out MS Press. As Black Viper Points out, often stopping the service will help.

Post 296038: Multiple Sources for MSCONFIG Items September 22, 3004
    Why Can't I Use Msconfig to Change My Services?
    Windows XP Services Profile Guide
    Windows XP Home and Professional Services

SMBP