New Lounger
    Thanks

Ampersand problem in Subject (OL2002 / SP2)

There's an article on Microsoft's Office web site titled "Automatically Address an E-mail Message in Outlook 2002", that explains how to add a toolbar dropdown with one-click email generation to frequently used addresses. Setting up the email address and subject involves completing a form that generates them using a mailto: string. The problem is that the form parses the Subject field in such a way that it won't resolve an ampersand, either entered directly or by using the hex code.

If you enter the string into IE it resolves properly. Example:

mailto:ADDRESS?subject=Ham "percentsign"26 Eggs

will generate a message with "Ham & Eggs" as the Subject line (I had to replace the % sign above because the code resolved when I previewed the post). If you do this by using the Subject field in the "Edit Hyperlink" box in Outlook as described in the article, the hex code is resolved prematurely and you end up with the Subject line truncated at the ampersand point (i.e. "Ham ").

Is there any trick to making this work in Outlook? Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ampersand problem in Subject (OL2002 / SP2)

I haven't worked with the form, but have you tried putting quotation marks (double or single) around the "percentsign"26?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ampersand problem in Subject (OL2002 / SP2)

Yep; tried quotes, slashes, double ampersands. All the stuff that works elsewhere doesn't work there.