1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Exporting from PST file (Outlook XP)

Is there a way to export all messages from a PST file to a text/Word file? =W=

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Exporting from PST file (Outlook XP)

You can export all of the messages from an Outlook foilder - I'm not sure whether you can export the entire PST file contents in one hit.
    To export, say, your Inbox:
    choose File-Import and Export...
    Select "Export to a file"
    Then pick the file format - I've used "Comma separated values" with success (exporting to Excel seems to result in the email body being truncated)
    Pick the folder to export (say, Inbox)
    Choose which fields to export
    Be patient whilst it all happens

You now have a file that contains the Inbox contents but it looks dreadful. However, you can presumably use that file as a database for a mailmerge where you reformat the file to end up with something that looks a little prettier.
    Good luck

4. New Lounger
    Thanks

Will,

Coincidentally, somebody told me about WN Mailkeeper recently (see www.wickett.net). This software will let you export your entire PST file in at least 3 different formats. And the Outlook folder tree organization is preserved, apparently. This is what tech support sent me this morning:

"If the files are in the native Outlook format as MSG files they will open in Outlook. If you saved as plain text or HTML you can view them in any appropriate viewer."

The website also mentions that the exported version of your PST file can be indexed (which assumes you have indexing software).

There's a shareware "eval" available at that website but you have to apply for it. (i'm going to). The cost of purchasing the program after the eval is over is about $50.00 I think. Have fun. jaygo

5. New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response! When I select Export to a file, the only file option I am given is a PST, which is rather odd. That's the only kind of exporting that Outlook help refers to (except for exporting contact info). I'm running Outlook 2002 (10.4712.4219) SP-2.
    =W=

6. New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. Mailkeeper worked pretty well. I used it to export messages into text format, and it's not beautiful but all the information is there. =W=

7. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>That's the only kind of exporting that Outlook help refers to<hr>

That's very puzzling. The help topic on my PC (Outlook XP 10.4712.4219 SP-2) under "Export Information" says:

Export Information
    You can export to dBase, Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, FoxPro, or to a Personal Folders file.
    On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
    In the list, click the file type you want to export to, and then click Next.
    If you want to export to a file for use in Word or PowerPoint, choose either Tab Separated Values or Comma Separated Values.

Follow the instructions in the Import and Export Wizard.
    Note Folder design properties such as permissions, rules, description, forms, and views are not preserved when you export to a Personal Folders file. Only the content itself is exported.

Is it possible that you have not installed the necessary filters to be able to export in formats other than .PST? Perhaps if you run Office Setup and dig a little... (although I would have thought the options at least would be there and you would be prompted to instal when attempting to use them)

Oh, and I particularly love the humour of the first part of the help that suggests you can export to MS Word directly - although they 'fess up towards the end where they explain the trip to Word is via incredibly ugly .CSV data which you then have to maul into shape (hyperbole added)

8. Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 22-Jan-04 19:43. )</P>The whole PST in one hit would need some VBA code, or an add in such as might be found at http://www.Slipstick.com. However, you should be able to select all Messages in a Folder and select File, Save As, and then choose one of a few options including RTF and txt. If you search this forum you will find some related VBA code, which may need a little modification.

After further review in Outlook 2002 I see that I can also use the Export wizard to export a single folder to a CSV or Tab delimited txt file, which for a message is more or less a straight text file, but it doesn't permit me to select multiple of subfolders. In other words, it does the same as in the first paragraph.

Generally there isn't much point to creating txt or doc or rtf versions of messages, since they'll use more disk space than a PST.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7ąDS