New Lounger
    Thanks

Send e-mail using client side Java script

Does anyone know how to send an e-mail with form information using client-side java script? I know this is sort of a strange questions but it's for a class I'm taking and we can't use any server side scripting. Any information, web sites, etc. would be helpful at this point!

Many thanks,
    Shane

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Send e-mail using client side Java script

You can post a form to an email address, although I haven't done this for years... I don't remember the details, such as whether you need to set SMTP server details or not.

Although you will never have the flexibility of Server-side scripting, you can use the method mentioned above like this:

< form action="YourEmail@YourDomain.com" method="post" >

As for a javascript method, I'm not aware of anything that would be easy to use. Maybe another lounger will have a suggestion for this.

Thanks

You could dynamically build a mailto link with JavaScript, and then use JavaScript to "click" it (have I done that, or was I clicking a button?), but otherwise you have to know a huge amount about the mail facilities of the server...

(Looking up code...)

I made a page with radio buttons, the user chose one and this automatically submitted the form with that option. The code for one of the radio buttons was:

<input type="radio" name="SearchType" value="CODE" onclick="java script:SearchSubmit.click();">Exact client code

SearchSubmit is the NAME attribute of the Submit button. I wonder... could you send a click event to a mailto link?

Look forward to seeing your progress on this.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks to both of you. I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,
    freemans