2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross-reference error after heading name changed (Word 2000/SR-1)

I discovered something about cross-references today that took me by surprise. I have a document using outline numbering with a custom style "attached" to each level. In the text, I use the cross-reference feature to reference paragraph numbers (e.g., See Section 1.1). Normally, when I update the fields, the only time I see the cross-reference field code change to the ominous "Error! Reference source not found" is when I delete the section that the cross-reference is referring to. (Operator error.)

Today, though, I changed a one-word heading to a different word and left the style/paragraph numbering intact. When I updated the field codes, all cross-references to the paragraph number attached to the one-word heading changed to "Error! Reference source not found." I was able to recreate the scenario if the heading is one word and I replace the entire word, but not if I only change some of the words.

Is there something I need to do when modifying headings so that I don't break cross-references?

Thanks!

- Linda

Thanks

Re: Cross-reference error after heading name changed (Word 2000/SR-1)

I think what happens when you let Word use typing-replaces-selection is that it first deletes what was marked and then inserts the new. So I guess the hidden bookmark gets deleted as part of that process.

This is a ridiculous workaround, but you could try it: When replacing the word, click after the first character, type a space and then your new stuff, and then delete the remnants of the old word.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Linda:
    When you insert a cross-reference to a heading, numbered paragraph, etc., Word inserts a hidden bookmark. Since you can't see the bookmark, it's easy to delete it by changing the single word. One workaround is to type your new heading "inside" the old one & then delete the ends. e.g. if "Title" is your heading & you want to change it to "Chapter", don't delete the first heading & type in the second, type it like "TChapteritle" & then delete the ends.

Andrew Lockton, WMVP, has had some posts regarding Cross references that you could search to get more information.
    Hope this helps,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, jscher2000 and Phil, for providing a workaround. It works fine. It appears that any time you replace the entire heading (one word or otherwise) by selecting and typing over it, the cross-reference may break. Thanks for providing a way to get around it.

- Linda