New Lounger
    Thanks

Annoying error messg. (Win XP - OE 6)

I have two homes, two computers. I had a dial-up server thru Hargray. I have cancelled that account when I got Sprint DSL w/ earthlink email. My second home has Comcast high speed and I use OE 6 on both computers. Whenever anyone sends me an email, they get an error message returned to them saying: permanent failure, user disabled cannot receive new mail: (and my old, cancelled Hargray address is placed here) This leads the sender to believe the message has not been sent to me. I do receive their message on both of my mail servers, i e, earthlink and comcast. I have removed any sign of Hargray in my tools, accounts in OE and earthlink. Why would this message be sent to the originator when they are not using a Hargray address in any way? Both Comcast and Hargray have no clue. I don't believe the problem is in the senders address book, because I get this error when I send an email to myself and Hargray is not listed anywhere on my system.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Annoying error messg. (Win XP - OE 6)

Permanent Failure: 550_5.2.1_user_disabled;_cannot_receive_new_mail:_ lbeets@hargray.com
    Delivery last attempted at Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:14:58 -0000
    The above is the returned message I received when I emailed myself.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Does this error have any numbers and could you tell me the exact wording? Also when you go to run>eventvwr.msc>expand the box>click on application and then systems do you see any information listed as information, error or warning about the time you send the message to yourself? That information could solve the problem.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks--how about in event viewer? Sometimes in situations like these it yields additional helpful error/incident information.

SMBP

Thanks

Any chance you set up forwarding or copying on one of your newer accounts that would be flipping a copy of the message to the old address? I think it's more likely to be on the ISPs server than a fule in your local mailbox, but that would be a possibility, particularly if you normally keep OE closed and these errors are generated in a cluster shortly after you fire it up. On the other hand, Comcast should haved checked that for you. Then again, it is Comcast...

Thanks

"in situations like these" ==> The error message is arriving in an e-mail message from the ISP's mail server to the sender of the e-mail. It seems extremely unlikely that the event viewer will have captured anything.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe so. But I've seen errors logged in Event Viewer with OE/NAV and OE ZA conflict errors. and every error I can remember with OE has had numbers, often two or three sets wherever it comes from. If there are any numbers or the exact wording associated with this message "permanent failure, user disabled cannot receive new mail" they would make searching for a solution/discussion easier. I don't know if there are or not.

The more I see that Outlook questions on newsgroups and forums are oriented toward "How can I get this done or modified?" and OE questions are oriented toward "this won't open, that won't work, I lost this, and this has disappeared," I begin to understand why Ducky Sherwood, an email expert was on Tech TV's Call for Help today, saying after 30 years with email, starting as the University of Illionois' head IT administrator, OE has become the worst email client she has ever seen with a terribly functioning feature set--and that "Microsoft has refused to update it and support it," and it frequently corrupts like a low end email client:

Things You Can Do To Get Less Spam: Dump OE because MS Doesn't Support or Update It and its Feature Set is Terrible!" Tech TV's Call for Help

This is somewhat consistent with all the talk that they were going to abandon it months ago, and then the flip flop that it will become more "robust" as a Longhorn instead of an IE component within 48 hours of the announcement they were going to ditch it.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have checked the event viewer. Nothing shows up. Any other ideas? Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I am looking for useful information on this. Are you getting the error when you send to yourself on both the Comcast cable machine and the Sprint dsl earthlink machine and from one of your machines to the other? Try deleting the accounts on both machines and reconfiguring them. I'd also call Earthlink and Sprint to check on problems with their servers and if others are reporting or have reported this error to them and you might search around the broadbandreports.com andNavas Group type sites which can be very helpful for email ISP interface problems.

SMBP