5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Order of files in the Open dialog (Word 2000)

When I go to open a document, in the dialog box sometimes the files are in A->Z order, sometimes Z->A apparently at random. This was not always the case - started about a year ago. Is there a way to force A->Z order ?
    And then, about a month ago, a new behaviour started - after opening up the dialog it goes straight to the LAST folder. Again how can I restore the "normal" behaviour - simply show the beginning of the list ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Order of files in the Open dialog (Word 2000)

In the file list that comes up when you either open or save a file, switch the view with an icon at the top of this dialog box to details. Click on the column header of the category that you want the list sorted by- such as name. If it is sorted Z-A, click on "Name" again and it will be sorted A-Z. After you do this if you change the view to List or another category, the list will still be sorted in the way that you wanted even though the categories are no longer listed.

I hope this solves your problem.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Martin:
    Fred has answered your first question. As to your second, whenever you have a file (as opposed to just subfolders) in your File/Open location (e.g. My Documents), Word will highlight the first File, which is at the end of all the subfolders. The only cure for this (that I'm aware of) is to take all the files & put them in a subfolder. I use "1Misc" (w/o quotes), which puts them at the beginning of the list of subfolders.
    Hope this helps,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys - all sorted