5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows eplorer hangs after delete

I spotted the identical issue in Post: 279240 - but no answer there. I've nothing in "My Documents", an empty recycle bin, plenty of other resources . . . . ?
    I do however have more than one hard disk (2 big external ones, and a 2Gb PCMCIA card) although I get the problem even when these are turned off too.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows explorer hangs after delete

If I delete a very large number of files at once (say 200 or more in a folder) Windows Explorer can hang "not responding" and I have to re-boot the machine. I think I get the same problem if I do a lot of single file operations - moves, re-names etc - when I notice Explorer getting painfully slow before it packs up entirely. Other applications don't slow down, and I've 192MB RAM so I'd be surprised if that were the limitation . . . (Win98 SE).
    Any ideas ?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Windows eplorer hangs after delete

Well I found this exact problem in 2 or 3 places on the net,,,but nobody had a fix.
    My question is,,did this just start? If not,,how long has this been going on? Have you tried scanreg /restore? How about System File Checker? If nothing else try a Win98 repair install, that way you don't loose any data,programs, or settings.
    Another thing,,do you have an Anti-Virus program running,such as Norton that has undelete options?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows explorer hangs after delete

This is a Very old Issue and it actually has to do with Fat 32 and the Long file names. If you were to just leave it it will eventually fix itself. As you know when you delete something in Windows it essentially moves the files from Where you deleted them to the Recycle bin then updated the Fat table to show the location of the new files. With Long file names it now has essentially 2 tables to update. The dos 8.3 filename and the new Long file name table (I Iknow I'm not wording this correct so anyone out there that knows the exact technical terms feel free to correct me). The speed of your Hard Disk would speed this up but more then likely not totally fix it. The lag your experiencing is Windows trying to update the Freespace available on the drive as well as updated the location of the files to point to the recycle bin. On way to get around this is if you have a very large amount of files to delete go down to trusty old dos prompt and use the del * (as long as you know that's everything you want to delete) Or instead of deleting the large chunk just delete smaller chunks (IE 100 files at a time).

Conan

Lounger
    Thanks

Or if you want to avoid the potential remapping lag, try holding down the shift button when deleting to bypass the recycle bin. It's also possible a defrag might help, if the files are scattered.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm already defragged, and the Win98 installation is as clean and repaired as I can make it - but I do have Norton with undelete.
    I tried holding down SHIFT when deleting that has indeed cured things when deleting.
    I still get a very slow response when renaming etc and think I'm just going to have to live with that.
    Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

Something else that I recall helped me--Don't know where I got it(probably here [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]):

I created a different default directory for my documents. Apparently a large accumulation of files in "my documents" bogs down 98( I had 70M+ that I keep all them together for back-up.)
    My files are now in Catamy documents. C:my documents essentially remains empty except for what some programs stick there upon install.

I think it has to do with 98 organizing these files for faster access, but while doing so, gives an ongoing performance hit when you don't want it.

I changed the default file location in Office to find the path to the re-located files. I learned just recently that in Tweak UI the default path to my documents can be redirected, but I don't know if that might not get you back to where you started--98 knowing where the files are and trying to "help".

Don't know anything about Norton undelete, but I've never had good luck with Norton anything else. I suspect it also runs in the background all the time, which is a hit by itself. Why don't you temporarily turn it off in msconfig, and see if there's an improvement.