New Lounger
    Thanks

after installing pagemaker 7 all colors become mot

I am running windows xp home on a dell 4100 dimmension I also have a norton firewall and norton system works pro 2003. I just installed Adobe Pagemaker 7
    and when I open the program all of the colors on the desktop and the pagemaker program become all mottled and gray and negative like..I have tried troubleshooting with Dell and Microsoft and Adobe all to no avail I have also upgraded my video and audio drivers. can anyone help?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: after installing pagemaker 7 all colors become mot

Is everything OK if you exit Pagemaker? What about when you re-boot? Does it happen with any other programs? Have you un-installed Pagemaker and done a system restore to a point prior to the Pagemaker install? Is your system up-to-date with XP fixes and Norton fixes? Does Pagemaker have any udpates?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes Joe, everything is fine once I exit pagemaker, no it has never happend with any other program. I have uninstalled pagemaker 3 times and done a system restore
    I have updated video and audio drivers at Dell all of my updates at Norton are current as are all of my xp patches and fixes in fact the list of those is longer than my list of programs I can find absolutley no reference to this problem at the Adobe site. When you first click on the page maker icon the whole screen goes black and it does the same thing upon closing.

Administrator
    Thanks

Do you have an integrated video chip or a separate video card? If separate, have you tried drivers from the manufacturer's site? Have you checked the shortcut properties to see if anything unusual is set - particularly the compatibility tab?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a separate video card it is a NVIDIA Riva tnt 64 I have been to their web-site but couldn't find that model and was afraid of downloading the wrong thing
    I have notice on the short cut tab that there is not an option for running this program with windows xp just windows 95 thru 2000 I clicked on Win 2000 because that was closer fit than win 95 could that be it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Joe, I tried going to properties in pagemaker and changeing the choice on the compatibility tab
    If I change it to windows nt or windows 98/me the colors look the way they are supposed to however
    the icons are huge (which is much easier to live with...there is not an option for selecting windows xp
    but your suggestion got me to thinking and I thank you.
    Michelle

Administrator
    Thanks

What happened with the Win2k setting? There is someone at work who runs Pagemaker 7 with Win2k itself.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Not sure about PageMaker, but Photoshop comes with a utility called Adobe Gamma that runs at startup and is used for color calibration. This can cause problems if the calibration settings are incorrect. One sign that this program is installed is a new Adobe Gamma entry under Control Panels. If this seems relevant, we can follow up.

New Lounger
    Thanks

in window 2k the icons were just huge and there didn't seem to be any way to make them smaller. I have played around with so many things I am not sure what I did but it does seem to be working now... Thank you so much for your imput you are the best
    Michelle