Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows + e keys (XP pro)

Each time I attempt to open windows explorer w/ the windows + E keys combination, I get the following error:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system adminstrator."

I have looked in the MS knowledge base and even posted to their newsgroups, but can't fix this.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this key combination to work again?

TIA

-dhf

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows + e keys (XP pro)

Are you on a company network, if so contact your system help center?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Nope. Just me at home.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What settings have you or some one else have changed, just before this started?

Sounds like you have made a change to the user profile and/or registry which has removed this from your account. Does the Windows key work with any of the other short cuts, i.e., d, r, f, l and etc?

New Lounger
    Thanks

All other combos work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The only thing I have been able to find is a way to turn off the use of the key combination which you already have. It is for Windows 2000 and is done using the policy editor.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301422 How to Disable the "Windows Logo Key+E" Key Combination with Group Policies

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great, but forgot how to get to the group policy editor. Hint ...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The quickest way is to search for "Poledit.exe" and your are there.
    I am on a "Home" version machine which does NOT have it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have no such file on my c drive

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well,

I did get there using mmc and a snap in on the console, but nothing about windows key, like inthe KB article you referenced. Am I missing something?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I enabled that setting and nothing changed. Funny thing is I have no printer menu or network settings on the start menu, could this be related?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Absolutely. If you read the fine print in the screenshot, or if you read the fine print or the language by those radio buttons that enable, disable, or inactivate, or if you read the KB Dave gave you under "More Information," this is exactly what happens. That's was the point of my concern that you would have to get to your Control Panel, Printer(s), and Network dialogue boxes by another route, i.e. typing Control Panel in the Run box. That's what I just said in my post above.

I'm surprised though that it didn't cure the problem. While this may be modified by changing a service setting according to the KB, and system restore is not the way to correct a setting problem, since this is acute and recent vintage, and since something else in the equation not mentioned in the KB (it wouldn't be the first KB I've found to be incomplete by a longshot), try System restore. It only takes a couple minutes, and if you aren't h appy with the result you can reverse system restore. You didn't mention trying it which was and is one suggestion. Again, I didn't like the inconvenience of disabling the printer and manually having to enable it by following the KB. I could live with bringing up Control Panel from the run box or right clicking the taskbar and activating the address bar within it (making it a run box) and typing "Control Panel" there.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I missed typed. I have had no printer or network, while also having the w+e issue.

This has been a problem for over 3 months, can I use system restore that far back?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! This points to some other reason. Try deactivating that setting or disabling it. Where was that radio button when you went there just now to enable? First as to system restore that far back, I doubt it. It has been pointed out recently I think by Joe Perez that while System Restore says in KBs that it defaults to 90 days with the slider all the way out to the real estate hogging and more than necessary 12%, in the real world that rarely happens at all or even close on some machines. Microsoft has acknowledge that but all the books and KBs dutifully trot out that 90 day default. It just ain't so. Each person has to check and see how many restore points are there and don't be fooled by the ghosted calendar--just hit the back symbol. The over 3 months effectively eliminates using SR, I'm sure if you're sure about the time.

Try running System File Checker. Post 325654 and Post 324271 have ample reference for running SFC. Have your Windows XP CD handy--it's most likely going to want it in. If you're not familiar it checks files and if they are damaged/corrupt it replaces them from Dllcache on the hard drive or from the CD ROM from the I386System 32 folder.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

well,

ran sfc and then tried all values for the group policy. nothing changed.

Thanks for all the ideas so far, got any more tricks up you sleve?

-dhf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast